Chapter Five: Khatrina

I woke up to a loud banging on the door. I groaned and sat up, rubbing my eyes. I expected Ashley to wake up, but she just shifted and ended up in Peter's arm. Erik had beaten me to the door, so I just laid back down next to Ashley. Once I was settled down, Peter put a protective arm around the two of us. I could hear Erik talking to someone at the door that was totally stressed. I sighed and sat up again, waking up Peter and Ashley. I shot them an apologetic smile, and got up to see what the commotion was about. Krystal got up too, wiggling out of Andre's arms, and followed me. We stood behind Erik, standing on our tip-toes in order to see past his giant shoulder. It was just Haddy.

I crossed my arms over my chest, annoyed by her frantic tone. Her voice had gotten high-pitched and she was gesturing wildly. "You all have to get up! Now! You all must do your duties! That girl over there... Marisol-"

"Marissa." I corrected with a sharp tone.

She waved her hand dismissively. "Nine of our finest have already requested her! And, do you know who gets in trouble when the elite don't get what they want? Me!"

Erik sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yes, yes. We'll get our shit together."

Me and Krystal snickered, earning us a disapproving glare from Haddy. I expected her to yell at us, but she just tossed her long hair over her shoulder and walked away. Erik shut the door and began barking out orders. I walked over to where Marissa was sleeping and poked her arm, but she didn't wake up. I jumped onto the bed, landing on my knees. Her body merely shook, but it woke her up. She shot up, her messy waves tangled atop her head. I laughed as she attempted to comb out the knots with her fingers, wincing every time her hair got caught in her nails.

Suddenly, Ashley jumped into my lap, yawning. Like back home, she hid her face behind my long, dark brown hair, and laid her head down on my shoulder. I wrapped my arms around her small, slim torso, gently rocking her back and forth while rubbing her back. Krystal came to sit next to us, smiling. I raised my eyebrow at her, causing her to laugh. She pointed to Ashley, saying She looks like she could be your own through the bond. I rolled my eyes at her, and stood up. I managed to keep a tight hold on Ashley as she wrapped her legs around my waist. I smoothed down her messy hair, and straightened out her nightgown.

"Can you brush my hair like Mommy did?" Ashley asked out of nowhere.

I set her down on the bed and nodded. "Of course, sweetheart." I turned to everyone who was watching me, feeling my cheeks get red. "I think we all should get ready. Before Haddy comes back in here threatening us with a knife."

This earned a few laughs, but everyone obeyed my orders. I went back over to Ashley and she handed me my bag. I smiled and searched the bag for my hairbrush. I felt my hand run over the familiar texture, and pulled out the hairbrush. Ashley gasped as she saw my birthday present. It was definately quite a hairbrush. Peter had given it to me on my birthday last week, saying he had found it in an abandoned shop while he was out hunting. I turned it in my hand, mesmerized by the way the gold handle shimmered, even in the dim lighting. Ashley laughed. pulling me out of my trance. I sat down next to her, and she hopped onto my lap. I started brushing at the tips of her hair, and made my way up to her scalp. I was impressed when she only winced once. She really was a trooper.

Ashley hopped off my lap, telling me to get ready. I laughed at how she sounded when she bossed me around. She was so serious that it didn't suit her young age and innocent heart. Once I was sure she found Krystal, I began getting ready. I walked into the bathroom and took off my big shirt and shorts. Out of nowhere, a pair of strong arms wrapped around me. I saw it was only Peter, thanks to the mirror that hung before us. I turned around in his embrace, pressing a small kiss to his lips. He instantly smiled, and pulled me closer.