Chapter 1

Wynter

I lay in bed and watched the storm raging outside through the window, enthralled by its wild beauty and the power it exerted. Sometimes I felt like standing in the middle of it and letting all my rage out as well. Other times, I was glad to be safe and warm inside. But it was always, always fascinating to me. It called out to the fire locked within me, making me feel like I could be just as beautiful, just as powerful. I enjoyed the illusion as long as the storm lasted.

I should be studying for my finals but I couldn't focus. Mom wasn't back from work yet and Joshua, her boyfriend, was about to come home. I got up to check if the door was locked properly before climbing back in bed and trying to focus on Math. Several times, I flinched and my heart skipped a beat when I thought I heard a noise that wasn't brought on by the storm.

Chewing on my nails, I picked up my phone to text Mom again and ask her what was taking her so long.

Drinks with work buddies, hon, she replied. Be home soon.

I swallowed as I read the message and tried to call her but there was no answer.

Please come home, Mom. I'm really scared.

No reply. The thunder roared again and when the noise faded, I heard the rumbling of a truck coming up our driveway and ran to check the door again, holding the phone to my ear and still waiting for my mother to pick up. Closing my eyes, I crawled into bed under the covers and curled up in a ball. I wasn't religious by any standards but in that moment, I prayed to whatever higher power there was to watch over me until my mom came home.

I sucked in a breath when I heard the doorknob rattle, frantically typing out another message.

Please, Mom. I just feel so scared. Can you call me back?

"Wynter?" Joshua's voice carried through the closed door, making me freeze. "Hey, Wynnie. You in there? Open up. I want to see you."

I started to breathe quickly and heavily, not daring to move as the doorknob rattled again, biting hard on my bottom lip and praying even harder.

Please don't let him come in here. Please. Make him stop.

"Wynter, open the damned door." He banged on it harder and I jumped. "I know you can hear me. I can't believe my darling daughter is eighteen already. Let Daddy come inside and take a good look at you."

Tears leaked out of the corner of my eyes while I peered at my blank phone screen. More loud banging from his side caused me to throw the covers away and push up the window, squinting as the cold rain water sprayed inside. A second later, I had hauled myself out in a bid to escape, scraping my knees on the hard ground below.

Without even checking to see if Joshua had made it into the room, I took off at a run across my backyard and then climbed the low fence to jump on to the other side. Cars whizzed past and honked as I ran blindly across the street, ignoring the pain in my knees. I just needed to get as far away from Joshua as possible.

I was shivering by the time I reached the bookstore. The Nerd Stack it was called and my friend Noah's father owned it. His parents were out of town for a few days and so I slapped my palm desperately against the glass doors, unable to see inside because the light was off and everything was closed due to the storm.

"Noah!" I cried, wishing he would open up. I realized I had left my phone on the bed back at home, exposed to the elements. "Noah! Please let me in."

Rain pelted across my back and I hugged myself and pressed against the glass, my teeth chattering uncontrollably. It was starting to get dark, nobody was around on this street and it made me so uneasy.