Chapter Three

The room began to spin and the music faded into the background. I tried to forcus on the silhouette that stood infront of me. My eyes danced and bounced interacting with the lights landing everywhere but his face making it hard to see his features.

I know it's him.

He stood taller than I remember and his demeanour was cold. He squared his shoulders and took a long breath.

He was here, stood in the flesh. It was Steve.

A lump formed on my throat and the contents of my stomach threatened to make a show.

The temperature dropped drastically making the hairs on the back of my knock stand.

Instinct told me to run. I couldn't move. I stood frozen starring at him.

Tiny beads of sweat formed between my brow. I could see him calculating any move I was about to make.

"stay away from me" I seethed

Steve matched my movements as I took a step backwards ready to run away. I clenched my fists ready to defend myself.

Steve inched closer.

"I said stay the hell away from me!"

"Ella.." my name didn't sound right as the word rolled of his tongue

I turned and bailed across the dancefloor and headed towards the exit on the far end of the dance floor.

As I reached the door I slam down hard on the metal bar to open the fire escape, slamming it shut behind me.

The exit led onto an alley at the nack of the club that was dingy and dimly lit, barred wire fencing closing it off from the public.

Great!

I heard foot steps behind me. I grasp for breath and panicked. Looking side to side for a hiding place.

Why was I so scared of a person that was once my best friend.

Steve was dead for fucksake. I found him. His lifeless body slumped over in foetal position. The needles filled with crack cocaine scattered around him and his hand clutched a suicide note holding it close to his heart.

I ran towards the end of the alley and hid inside the dumpster.

The tears fell hard and fast. My body involuntary convulse, my heart aching and my heart in tatters. Banging my head repeatedly on the hard metal of the dumpster as I became numb.

How was this even happening.

"where is she" asked an unfamiliar voice.

"I saw her on the dancefloor, she freaked and headed this way"

My heart thundered in my ribcage as a whole wave of sobs washed over me. I grip both hands over ny mouth to muffle my cries.

Steve was still talking to someone faintly the argument getting heated.

"what was that?" the dark voice questioned.

"what"

"shh I hear something"

Heavy footsteps loomed towards the dumpster that was momentarily my sate haven. The thumps of his footsteps came closer and stop at the front end of the dumpster.

I waited for a reaction but nothing came.

I waited and waited for the lid to open but it never came. I couldn't will myself to move. Exhaustion waved over me and the darkness consumed me.