[0] Prologue

[0] Prologue

*

I clench the ballgowns heavy skirts tighter in my hands and run as fast as my high heels and ridiculously heavy dress will allow me to as my heart beats furiously in my chest. My breathing is labored, coming out of my mouth in short puffs and gasps whilst my legs scream in pain for me to stop.

The sound of footsteps and shouts from behind me, a reminder as to why I cannot stop. Ignoring the pain in my legs I run faster, nearing the end of the long corridor. A large wooden door stands tall and proud before me and I push it open without slowing down in the slightest only to stumble into a dead end.

I hear the door swing against the stone wall as I grip my hair in frustration. I look at my surroundings at the completely empty room with bare walls and floors then towards the large window before me that covers the entire wall.

I release my dress and press my hands against the cool glass and look at the endless stretch of land and sea visible. The full moon shines through the window, illuminating the room with a pure white light.

"No. No. No. No. No. No. No..." I mutter as the realisation that I am trapped finally sets in and my body starts shaking in fear.

I bite my lip to stop it from trembling and rest my forehead against the cool glass and wish for someone, anyone to help me, please!

But, nothing happens, no one comes. No knight in shining armor, no fairy godmother because that just doesn't happen in real life only in fairy tales.

I hear footsteps walking in the direction of the room and my breath hitches in my throat whilst my body freezes. The footsteps stop just outside the room and I curse myself for not closing the door after I had entered.

The footsteps enter the room and stop, then I hear the sound of the door closing with a loud thud sealing me and him in the room.

I spin around and face the man that people love but I fear. The King.

His dark brown hair is smothered with the weight of his heavy crown that glints in the moonlight, the dark stubble he bears makes him look more rugged than one would believe a king to be. The sight of him alone sends fear through my body but its his eyes, such a light blue that make me quiver and shake, eyes that look like they can see right through me, eyes so cold that they send a shiver down my spine, eyes that now lock my own in his gaze.

He reaches into his pocket and retrieves a key, a master key I realise as he puts it in the lock and turns until a small click seals my fate.

He returns the key to his pocket and turns to face me properly as his eyes never leave my eyes.

I flatten my back against the window as he takes slow steps towards me with a hard look on his face. He stops a breath away from me, so close that we almost touch. He lifts his arm and traces the side of my face with his fingertips before taking the mask that still covers half of my face off, letting it drop to the ground. His face remains cold, hard and unreadable as his eyes scan my bare face making me feel vulnerable under his piercing gaze. His hand grips my chin firmly and I gasp as his bare skin comes into contact with mine.

He tilts my head upwards and leans forwards so that his lips hover above my own, all the while he keeps his eyes locked with mine. He skims his lips across my mouth and over my cheek bone until I can feel his warm breath fanning against my ear.

"This time Cinderella doesn't run away"

*

Please comment your opinions and don't forget to vote ;)

Lia out x