2 | Miles Apart

NOTE: This chapter will be a flashback into 1945, the year Steve froze.

Let me know what you guys think!

•••

"Steve! Give it back!" Jessica begged, jumping for her hat.

"Just take it from me," he said, smiling. The corners of his eyes crinkled, and the blue irises twinkled with mirth.

Jessica crossed her arms over her chest, looking unamused. "You know I can't help it that I'm this short." She said, giving him the puppy-dog face.

Steve hated it when she did that. He couldn't resist giving in when her chocolatey eyes got big, and her kissable pink lips jutted out in an adorable pout.

Don't let that fool you, either. She may only be 5'1" and nineteen years old, but she can bring down men twice her size, bar Steve, of course. He is, after all, a super soldier.

"Fine," he said, finally giving in. He placed her uniform hat on her head, and quickly pulled it down over her brown eyes, laughing when she jokingly punched him in the ribs as she used her other hand to fix her hat.

Steve and Jessica have been friends since elementary school. She had got a group of bullies off his back and since then, they were inseparable. He may be a couple years older than Jessica, but they couldn't care less.

He remembered the day he told her he was going to join the army.

He waited for the "You're kidding!" or the "You wouldn't last ten seconds!" But instead, he got:

"Well, if you're going, then I am, too!"

She snuck in as a man, but while Peggy Carter was walking up the line, she was caught.

Instead of kicking her out, though, she let her stay. She saw something in her. Heart, persistence, and determination. Things most of these men lacked. Except Steve, of course. Steve was all that and more.

But because she is a woman, she couldn't be ranked higher than a Private, something she fought against since day one relentlessly, something that didn't escape the attention of the higher ranking officials.

And when Steve told her he was going to be used to experiment the Super Soldier Serum, she wasn't completely on board, but if Steve wanted it, who was she to stop him?

What he loved about her though, was that after he was administered the serum, she treated him no different than she always had. In fact, she even kept calling him by the nicknames she gave him: Short Stack, Fun Size, Tiny.

But now, he can call her those things, too.

And what Jessica loved about him was that even after he became buff, even more handsome, and taller, he himself didn't change. He was still the sweet, courteous, gentleman she's always known.

Steve grinned as he wrapped an arm around his best friend, sitting them down on a bench in the canteen. He gave her a quick squeeze, and she leaned her head on his shoulder, smiling.

They sat in silence for a several moments, not saying anything. Jessica finally looked up at the clock and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Steve asked, looking down at her.

"It's almost curfew. I need to go," she said, reluctantly leaving his side.

"Alright," he said, slightly disappointed. "See you tomorrow, Jess."

"See you," she replied, waving and leaving the canteen.

She was about to walk into her own private tent when someone came up behind her, a hand clamping over her mouth and nose as she struggled. She couldn't breathe and was becoming very lightheaded.

"Just relax, sweetheart. Go to sleep," a rough voice cooed in her ear.

She struggled for a few more seconds until she became weak, a black curtain falling across her vision as she finally gave in.

***

The next day, Steve spent hours looking for her.

He saw Peggy approaching him, and decided to ask her if she's seen Jessica.

"Steve! Have you seen Jessica?" Leggy asked him before he could get a word out.

"No! I was just going to ask you the same."

They started to get worried.

"Has anyone seen Jessica?" Steve called out.

Everyone answered negatively, which sent him into a state of panic. "Where could she be?!" He asked, worry and fear laced behind his words.

Peggy laid a comforting hand on his arm. "It'll be okay, Steve. We'll find her," she said, giving him a comforting smile.

Hours later, she was no where to be seen.

The Colonel stood in front of Steve, a solemn expression on his face. "Captain, it would appear that HYDRA has kidnapped her to get to you. We're doing everything in our power to get her back for you."

Steve was furious. "You're not doing enough!" He growled, storming away.

He found himself outside of Jess's tent.

He lifted the flap and walked inside, and sat down on her neatly made cot. He looked at the little table next to it, and saw that a picture of him and Jess was sitting on top of it, held down by a lamp.

He picked it up, and smiled sadly down at their smiling faces. They were in their uniforms. Not their army uniforms, but their 'superhero' uniforms. She had her arms wrapped around his neck from behind, and her chin was resting on his broad shoulder. His hands were intertwined with hers, and they both had huge smiles on their faces.

He flipped the photo over in his hands, and a small poem was written in her beautiful cursive handwriting.

Side by side, or miles apart
Best Friends are forever
Close to your heart

He smiled.

An urgent voice reached his ears from the outside of the tent.

"Cap! We have a lead!"

He stood up, slipping the photo in his pocket.

•••
A/N:

Thanks so much for reading!

Let me know what you think of this story so far!

Do you guys like Lily James as a portrayal of Jessica?

I just posted an Avengers One-Shot book, so feel free to check it out, and please do!