NINE- The After

A few days after the incident, Anita was sitting in her flat. She had nowhere to be until 1, currently being re-evaluated to see if she could keep her job. And her boyfriend had just passed away, so even if she wanted to go to work Lestrade wouldn't let her. If Anita lost her job, she didn't know what she was going to do with herself. It was all she had left of both Sherlock and her dad. Anita glanced down at her watch and sighed before standing up and walking towards her room. Anita reached into her closet and pulled out the black dress Mrs. Hudson bought for her, knowing Anita didn't want to go shopping anytime soon.

Anita pulled the dress on and looked at herself in the mirror that was in her room. Anita's eyes were puffy and bloodshot, her hair was messy and knotted, and to be completely honest she looked like shit. Anita sighed before grabbing a brush and brushing out her hair. After finally brushing out most of the knots, Anita set the brush down on her bed before flattening out her dress. Anita stared at herself in the mirror for a minute before there was a knock on her door. She walked over and opened it to reveal John, who was in a full suit. He gave Anita a soft smile as she peeked around the door.

"Hey," she said, softly, returning the smile. She gestured for him to come in so that she could grab her coat and shoes.

"Hey," John replied, walking in and closing the door behind him. He watched her grab her coat and felt his heart sink. John was sure that he'd never actually seen Anita grab her own coat, that was Sherlock's job. Anita slipped on her flats before holding her arm out to John, who took it, and the pair left the flat.

The two of them caught a cab before heading to the funeral. Anita had been dreading this day, that's why she told John to pick her up. She would have never gone if John hadn't pushed her to. Lestrade, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, and some of his homeless network showed up. Lestrade figured Anita needed some good news and told her that she still had her job. Anita cried, partly due to the fact that she still had her job, partly because she couldn't tell Sherlock about it. Mycroft didn't show up, which pissed Anita off. Later, after the funeral, Anita called him and gave him the shouting of a lifetime. Mycroft didn't argue back, knowing she needed someone to yell at. He didn't mind too much.

A couple of days after the funeral, Anita had plans with Mrs. Hudson and John to meet at the graveyard. Anita arrived early, walking past the 'H' section and to the 'O' section. She walked until she found her dad's grave. Anita didn't normally visit unless it was a special anniversary or she had good news. This time, she arrived with bad news. Anita stood in front of her father's grave, staring at the headstone.

"Hey, dad," Anita mumbled. She knew it stupid, talking to a headstone, but she didn't care anymore.

"I know he didn't believe in that stuff; the afterworld or heaven or whatever. But if you see him, just tell him that I love him," Anita said, her tears pooling already. Anita sniffled, wiping her face even though none of her tears had fallen yet, before bringing two fingers to her lips and pressing them to her father's headstone. Anita heard a car approach the graveyard and looked up. John and Mrs. Hudson, who had a bouquet of flowers in her arms, hopped out of the car and looked around for Anita. Anita walked over, trying to give them a big smile like she used to. She didn't want to be sad anymore. John pulled Anita into a tight hug, Mrs. Hudson doing the same.

Finally, the three of them made their way towards the black marble headstone. Anita took a shaky breath, grabbing John's hand. He glanced at her before squeezing her hand. Mrs. Hudson placed the flowers at the base of the headstone.

"There's all the stuff, all the science equipment. I left it all in boxes. I don't know what needs doing. I thought I'd take it to a school," Mrs. Hudson said, before glancing over at John and Anita.