Chapter 15: Doubt Blooms

A/N: Enjoy this chapter; it should reveal all you need to know about Kayne and her past.

Disclaimer: I do not own Bruce Wayne or anything else that may be referenced or shown in this book. Kayne I do own, through sickness or through health.

Kayne’s eyes never shut after the surgery. Kayne never asked how they did it, you know save her life, but for some reason the staff felt it necessary to explain everything that happened after she started convulsing violently enough to almost choke on her saliva. Another fact they also kept pointing out.

Apparently her convulsions had scared the doctors a lot because her heart monitor fell off her finger. The unrelenting beep of death kept blasting in their ears because it had flown off. Her Doctor, Doctor House, had just received the blood they need and demanded that they hook it up even with the convulsions.

The decision had served to save her life. The blood loss was replaced and the artery had been clamped then patched so they could remove the clamp and sew Kayne up.

Kayne’s hand brushed delicately over the threaded wound on her stomach. A similar one stitched up on her back. It felt funny to Kayne. The shock seemed to numb all of the pain but not the headache she had just felt start to bloom.

The pain growing made her mouth go cotton dry, or was that the medicine? Oh well, Kayne didn’t care she just wanted water.

Her right hand was covered in bandages where she split her skin from punching Harley so hard. Also she had an IV in her inner elbow.

So with her left hand she carefully reached for the help button.

Kayne jumps in surprise when a knock came from the door. Surprisingly, since she hadn’t even touched the button, it caught her off guard. She hurriedly threw her gown back down over her body to cover herself.

“Can I come in Ms. Wayne?” some-what familiar female voice asks, although Kayne felt she said her last name a little mockingly.

Kayne calls out hoarsely thanks to her scratchy throat. “Yes.” She replies, voice sore thanks to her screaming during the operation.

The door opens slowly to reveal a woman with flaming red hair. She had a white sanitary mask on that covered her nose and down on her face. Her hair is curled down her back. She has a white lab coat on with a green slit skirt that cut off mid-thigh. She wore a white button up blouse and held a clip board.

The woman turns to face Kayne full on as she closes the door. Her green sparkling eyes scope over Kayne’s skinny pale body in concern. Kayne couldn’t help but feel a little relaxed. The eyes reminded her of Ariel, Lily’s mom. A wave of sadness rushed over her at the thought of Lily.

Kayne mentally shook it off. She glances up at the doctor expectantly, waiting for her to explain whatever happened now. Instead the doctor reached up and took off the mask carefully.

As the doctor took her mask off, her skin went from white to a tinted green. Kayne’s eyes widened at the doctor’s skin color change.

They widened even more when she saw the doctor’s face. “Ariel.” Kayne croaks, her eyes watering. She stared at the mother she had spent two years supporting.

The single mother smiled with a nod, her eyes watering as well.

“It’s good to see you Kayne. Good, when I heard what happened I called the only person I knew that could get me in here to come see you. The kids are so worried. They brought me the news. How are you?” Ariel asks, walking up to the side of Kayne’s bed.

Kayne stared at the mother, still disbelieving. “Who?” Kayne rasps, trying to get more words out than just single words.  Ariel’s face pulls a look of surprise but then one of casual with a smile.