Chapter 8: A Sudden Death

I watch Clint pick up the boy. Then I watch as Ultron starts shooting at him. It felt like time slowed down. I see the blurred outline of Pietro run in front of Clint. Then I see Pietro fall to the ground, filled with bullet wounds. I take off, sprinting towards Clint. I get there at the same time as Steve. He looks up at the both of us as I stare at Pietro's body.

    Mutely, I lift Pietro's body with my magic and Clint and I walk back to the boat as I move him with my magic. I swallow and my throat burns. I look away from the body. I set the body on the ground and Clint collapses on the seats above him. I sit on the ones next to Clint and blink away tears. I passed out before the boat even moved.

    It was pretty chaotic on the ground. I stayed right next to Clint who made sure I was by him the entire time. Fury let us on the Heli carrier, so I could take off my mask and let my face breathe. We sat in a room, not talking, as I cleaned up my lip that had started bleeding again at some point. My back had moved to a dull ache and my knee hurt from sliding on the street earlier in the day. Fury gave Clint and I some clothes to change into so I could walk around. I quickly change and run my hand through my hair. I go back to Clint, not wanting to be by myself. I sat down on a chair across from him and cleaned the blood off my knee. There were a lot of cuts on my knee even after I cleaned it up. They were still bleeding. I put a gauze over it and taped it into place. I had just finished, when my dad basically storms into the room.

    'Dad!' I say, getting up and hugging him.

    'Hey, kid,' he says as I release him.

    'Did you hear about—'

    'Yeah,' he said cutting me off. 'I'm sorry, kid. You want to go home?'

    'Yeah,' I said. 'Is everyone else okay?'

    'Everybody is fine,' dad said. 'But...Hulk took over in the quinjet. We don't know where he is. Nat is trying to get in contact.'

    I sigh, exhausted. 'Is she okay?'

    'She won't say otherwise,' my dad said, running a hand over his face. Clint walked off, probably to go find Nat.

    'Wanda?' I ask.

    'You'll see her soon enough,' dad said, walking out. I follow him. We run into Steve on the way out.    

    'You two heading out?' he asked.

    'Yeah,' dad said. 'I want to get her home. She's been through enough today.'

    'Yeah, we all have,' Steve said with a sigh. 'You did good, Maya.'

    'Thanks, Steve,' I say smiling a little.