Chapter Sixteen - Lifeless

Chapter 16 - Lifeless

The three of us kept close to the nearby trees as we progressed deeper into the forest. We took our time, moving from one tree to the other once Kiernan told us the coast was clear. Every so often, one of us would call out for the boys, but our efforts were futile.

“Where are they?” Vivian murmured to herself as she followed behind us.

“They got to be close. Stop talking so loud,” He ordered.

"You're talking louder than me!" She hissed back, her voice rising slightly.

“Shh!” I hushed at the two of them as we got to the next tree. We stopped there and waited once more as Kiernan looked around it. Again, I noticed the strange way his ear muscles twitched as he turned his head to listen.

“We’re still a safe distance away from them.” He told us finally.

A sudden idea came to my mind. “Let’s split up so we can find them faster.”

Kiernan turned and looked at me, contemplating it.

“That makes sense. It’d be faster and easier. I’ll stick with Elara,” Vivian said as she placed her hand on my shoulder.

His eyebrows narrowed in thought. Finally he let out a defeated sigh. “Fine. Just be careful. Call out quietly if you find one of them.”

Vivian stepped back, confusion on her face. “But how will you-”

“Don’t worry, I’ll hear you guys. Now go,” He told us.

Giving a light shrug, Vivian turned and led us in the opposite direction. I stayed close behind her as we headed to the next tree. Looking back, I was surprised to see that Kiernan was already gone from sight.

We were about to move on to the next tree when she abruptly stopped. I stepped back, stopping myself from walking into her.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered as I became alert. “Did you hear something?”

“No… It’s just that, you don’t think they got caught do you?” She said, looking at me with true concern in her eyes. Growing up, Vivian had always been the strong one who hid her feelings from others. She’d always kept up a barrier. It made me happy to see that she still wasn’t afraid to show her emotions in front of me. I suddenly realized that even though we didn’t really know these boys, we still had that connection with one another enough to care.

“No, I’m sure they’re fine.” I said, but I didn't sound so convinced myself. I bit the inside of my cheeks softly as I looked back in the direction of the van. “Why don’t we stick close to the trees and go back and check to make sure?”

Vivian was quiet as she thought about it. “That’d make be feel better.” She confessed. “I need to know that we at least tried Elara.”

“I know, so let’s go.” I grabbed her hand and gave it a light squeeze. Letting go, it was me now who went ahead first to lead us. After a couple of minutes of walking, I froze when I heard the sound of a twig snapping. Vivian heard it too as we stood silently behind the safety of a tree.

“Got you!” A man exclaimed suddenly. I jumped at the sound of his voice, bracing myself for the sting of a tranquilizer dart. But it never came. I realized he hadn’t seen us.

“Ouch! Hey! Let me go!” A boy shouted. I looked at Vivian behind me, our eyes widening. It was Tyler out there.

I peered out from behind the large tree trunk, spotting the two of them. “Stop struggling!” The man ordered as he struggled to apprehend the fragile teen. Like the other two we’d seen, he had on an official uniform similar to what a sheriff would wear. The St. Luna’s official logo, a crescent moon with a smaller star next to it, was pinned on his shirt pocket.