Chapter 16

March 19, 2027
Undisclosed Location
0200 hours

Erica's POV

I watched as Ben lay on the bed, contemplating something. He didn't see me, as I was tucked behind a corner. He seemed frustrated, and I wasn't sure why.

Heck, he had just saved Emma and I, yet there seemed to be something wrong with him. Speaking on Emma, she was sleeping in one of the drawers (it was pretty big and I put as many blankets as possible). The drawer was open a crack so we could see her.

I walked around the corner and went to the bed. I laid down beside Ben and he rested his head on my chest.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, nothing," he said.

I rubbed his hair softly and I felt him relax a little more.

"I know when you're lying, Ben," I said.

He didn't say anything. His hair was brown and fluffy, and super soft. It felt nice on my hands.

"I don't think we're cut out for this right now," he said.

"I know we aren't," I responded. "It's not fair to us, and especially to Emma, but it seems like we are the only hope the CIA has. With our crew, of course."

"Yea," he started. "Just like how it was all through school."

"It was kind of crazy to think that we went on all those missions as students," I said, thinking back.

Back to when I was the Ice Queen, and Ben was always trying to get through to me. I didn't understand emotions then, so I didn't even know what I felt towards Ben. I just knew he was different than other people.

"They've still counted on us this whole time," he said. "I wasn't even supposed to be a spy."

"You're right," I replied. I thought back to when I had landed on him, and I caught whiff off him wearing some sort of vanilla cologne. The scared look in his eyes. He looked kind of cute, like a little child.

"But you have done well with the opportunity. You have proven that you deserve to be here. We just got to get this mission done. You know, standard save the world stuff."

He laughed. "I hope you can get a word in to Cyrus that we need time off. I'm not keen of putting our little girl into any more peril."

"Neither am I." I was more scared than ever, when the person was going to kill Emma. I was so thankful Ben had saved her. I had frozen, at the worst time.

"What's really wrong though?" I asked.

"These people," he said. "SPYDER was bad, but these guys, they have been so frustratingly smart. We've had our cover blown, been kidnapped and we didn't even see it coming."

He looked at me.

"I'm scared, Erica."

I smiled at him.

"And you weren't scared on all the other missions? We still figured it out those times."

"Yes, but now we have Emma to take care of. I'm terrified that if I make one false move, it could be the end of her life."

He turned around fully so we were facing each other. I brought him closer so I had my hands on his face.

"We can do this," I said.

He stared into my eyes, his chocolate eyes boring into me. He looked lost, but then he regained his focus.

"I still get lost in those eyes," he said.