Chapter 37: My problems ended... Right?

After crying in my room, I felt much better. My heart was still shattered because of what had happened with Johannes. Besides, Sven's death had broken me inside and I couldn't stop thinking of Bosch. The blasts still came back to my thoughts as if they were still happening. I'd won the battle, but no other pirate ship survived and that horrifying fact wouldn't stop torturing me. Although sailing to Puerto Rico made me happier, my mind was driving me crazy. I admit I had a terrible habit of thinking about many things at once, but what could I do? That battle was very challenging for me, so there was no way I wouldn't feel bad afterwards. Also, I was so tired that I almost threw myself on the floor and slept. Fighting the Navy men wasn't exactly easy and Sven had really improved his skills. Sometimes I felt as if the traitor still squeezed my neck while saying horrible things... I'd never forget that he caused my allies' ships to sink and almost led my entire crew to death. Besides, if he hadn't helped Admiral Campbell, perhaps Dirk would've never been shot, and Miguel wouldn't have been stabbed. I hoped Kenneth had saved Bosch... God, I would freak out if he hadn't! I walked from one side to the other while rubbing my chin as I thought of everything.

Miguel and my uncle were talking on the forecastle deck. Kenneth had treated their wounds already, which made me slightly calmer. I frowned, wondering where Maartje and Laurens were. Francis ran to me and licked my boots.

"Hey, Francis!" I grinned at my dog. "Can you believe we won?"

He barked, apparently agreeing.

I sighed, "I wish Sven and Johannes had joined us. I can't believe they became our enemies..."

Still wondering where my friends had gone, I looked in every direction. No sign of them. That didn't look good because Maartje and Laurens were almost always at the main deck with me. Also, they never vanished without saying anything.

Where the hell are they?

Worrying about my two best friends, I walked fast and Francis followed me. I pressed my lips together as I slowly went downstairs. I hoped I was just paranoid, but what if they were in danger? There was no way I could cope with more bad things at that moment! Narrowing my eyes, I reached for my cutlass. One can never be too careful, right?

I gulped while trying to imagine what was happening, "I'm not in the mood for a fight. I need some sleep."

My heart pounded as I heard a noise on the gun deck. Francis whined, appearing to be afraid. I put down my cutlass once I found my friends. There was no danger, but I still gawked. I laughed silently and raised my brows, unable to believe what took place in front of me. Laurens and Maartje kissed each other desperately. He slid his hands down my cousin's back, and she pulled him closer.

I smiled mischievously, "They definitely don't need my help."

When I was about to leave, Francis barked. I grimaced. How can dogs be so wonderful and annoying at the same time? Damn it!

Maartje and Laurens moved away from each other. My cousin downturned her head and blushed like never before. My oldest friend glanced away. Yes, awkward was the right word to define the situation. The three of us froze for an instant.

"I didn't mean to interrupt," I forced a smile. "I was just looking for you two and... well, never mind. Carry on."

With her fingers intertwined, my cousin approached me slowly. Laurens sighed. She chuckled, seemingly less embarrassed than before.

Maartje's eyes gleamed, "Laurens and I have finally decided to be together!"

I grinned broadly, "It was about time! Congratulations!"

"Thank you!" Laurens smiled nervously. "I'm glad you liked the news."

The three of us remained silent for a moment and laughed right after. Maartje and I couldn't stop giggling. I was incredibly proud of my friends because they'd been in love for a while. Since Laurens and Maartje were very shy, I assumed they would never become a couple. Guess what? I underestimated the power of love... God, they were indeed a perfect match!