The Herd

Notice the herd as it moves across the open plains. In daylight, noble, proud, and majestic, they glitter with the purest of lights. One might even be lulled into a sense of security. Something so beautiful, so glorious, couldn't possibly be the source of terror.

You would think the sickly, demonic and dark creatures in their midst are the true source of all tales of horror and fear.

You would be right, but also wrong. You see, little one, in some interpretations of this herd, you might be right.

When found walking in the daytime, the nightmare is hardly the all-encompassing terror you might be familiar with.

Consider - you have before you, two creatures co-existing in peace. Two seeming opposites. Dark and light.

But the unicorn does not bear the horn for the sake of beauty - it is as deadly a weapon as the antlers of any deer, the fangs of any tiger. In the light of day, you would find fewer creatures more deadly and fierce.

There is no definitive evil among them - only survival. So, little one, think now to your fears of those dark beasts whom you believe to hunt in the dark at random. Those shadows on the walls, those bumps in the night. The ones that steal away in the night to take all you hold dear. There is no random - only a set of circumstances that lead to a point.

But see now how the nightmare approaches? See how gently she takes the offered fruit?

There is no evil here. 

Peace, little one.