Part Five

5.

Ahh. The simple joy of a Friday afternoon. And I was loving it. Every second! I was driving home, rocking along to Black Eyed Peas, letting the sun shine through my windshield. It felt wonderful! I was so excited! Tonight was the prom and I was going dress shopping with Emma after school. That should be fun. Not.

I had a whole weekend ahead of me and I was going to have fun. Me and Emma were going to the spa tommorrow as a late birthday treat to ourselves. I bopped my head all the way home and pranced into the house. Emma greated me and we ate some chips and dip and headed out for the mall. I made sure I was driving.

"Damn it!" I cuss under my breath.

"What's up?" Asked Emma.

"I'm almost out of gas. I'll have to go to this Irving." I say turning into the local gas station.

I got out filling the car with gas and put my debit card in to pay. I opened the driver's side door to find Emma sitting there smiling out at me. What?

"Get in the car."She said pretending to be like a ganster or something.

"You aren't threaning Emma." I chuckled.

"No really," She says deperation starts to creep into her voice, "I have a surprise for you!"

Goody. I got in the car reluctantly and stared out the window as Emma swerved out of the gas station tires squealing. We were gonna die! I expected her to turn onto the highway for the mall but she didn't. Instead she took a sharp turn left and started heading down a dark street and stopped at the mouth of an alley.

"Emma this doesn't seem safe." I say nervously.

"Trust me Em it is." She sounded confident and I got out of the car and followed her down into the dark gaping end of the alley.

We walked down it, Emma bravely and me cowering behind her. She stopped at a door and knocked. There was a picture of a little dress on it and it read McLain's. This was the dress store that no one around here could afford.  Why were we here. The door opened and a clerk peeked out. He had a tape measure slung over his shoulder and a piece of fabric hanging out of an apron.

"AH Emma!" He greeted in an Italion accent.

He pulled us inside and I found myself in a storage compartment. The man closed the door, seling it behind us. There were boxes piled everywhere and stray pieces of fabric peeked out from hiding places.

"So, I hope you enjoy what I've prepared for you and your little friend."

Emma giggled, "Actually Luigig, my 'little friend' is my sister Emily."

He kissed my hand and I felt my cheeks warm up. He lead us over to a rack of dresses. What did Emma do!

"Emma!" I hissedpulling her closer so I could whisper into her ear, "What did you do! We can't afford this!"

emma smiled knowingly at me. "That's the great part. We can! Mom won karaoke with Daryl in Mexico and the prize was a lot of money! She sent us some as a birthday present in the mail. I kept it a secret to buy these."

"Emma!" I exlaimed still hushing my voice, "Why didn't you tell me?! I might have spent my share on something else!"

"Exactly! I knew you would so I hid it from you. Trust me, you'll love it! I had him make it to match your personality!"

I was about to ask what she meant by 'make it' when this guy, Luigi I guess, turned around and says. "Okay I made a few so you each tell me which you love the most!" He sounded pretty worked up about it.