Intelligence: Chapter Five (pt.1)

Neave rushes downstairs with big suitcase and two bags, almost falling down the steep staircase. Christie glances up from her homework to watch the bags being chucked at the front door. "It's not today you're leaving, is it?" She asked, dropping her pencil on her desk. Neave sighed, "It was originally this time next week, but my mum has lost so much money and she needs to go back urgently. Sorry." Christie somehow expected this would happen, she knew she'd leave sooner than stated. "Need help carrying them outside?" She holds out her hand as a helpful gesture. Pulling a heavy bag over her shoulder, Neave shakes her head. "Don't worry about it, I've got the muscle."

Christie took her keys from the table and unlocked the door. 'I can't believe she's leaving so early and that she's finding it so easy to go.' Her thoughts were racing. 'I've never lived alone before.'

Even though Neave was leaving now, for Christie it felt like she'd left months ago. Neave grudged along the pavement, dropping her bags on the scattered pebbles, causing them to make a loud crunch. "Didn't you say you had to move back to Peacehaven?" Christie asked, soon being interrupted by her ringing phone. Neave nodded, pulling her leather jacket over her shoulder.

"Hello?" Christie spoke into the phone and waited seconds for a response. "Hi, this is Phoebe." A happy voice sounded from the phone. A smile formed on Christie's face, "Oh, hey Phoebe. What's up?"

Joey woke up from his calm slumber and studied his surroundings. "Hello!" He giggled, his eyes focusing to the morning sunlight. Gazing at Neave who was walking in and out of the house, he wondered what she was doing. He decided to stay quiet and watch the world go by.

"Right, okay, meet me at the bus stop near mine?" Christie continued making plans on the phone. After a few goodbyes, she hung up the phone and returned it to charge. Neave fiddled with her keys and puts the spare house key on the shoe rack. "Well, um, I have to go. Mum has just left now and she'll be here soon. Thanks for letting me stay, despite what's happened and all. I don't know how you put up with me." She chuckles, sitting down to put her Converse shoes on.

Christie took the spare key in her palms and placed it on the dusty window sill. "No worries. Thank you for making the time we spent together great, I hope everything goes well with you and your family." She pulls her into a small hug, as a loud beep is heard from outside.

"What?" Joey mumbles in confusion, he understood half of the words that were spoken. All eyes turned to face him, he instantly felt safe. "Oh, Joey. I don't want him to feel lonely, but I'm sure he'll be fine." Neave sighed, slowly approaching Joey. He happily allowed her to stroke his feathery head.

"Why?" He said, looking up at his two owners, he was unsure of the current situation. "She has to go back and live with her mum." Christie replied, petting Joey's claw. It took him a few seconds to understand, but he soon bopped his head in approval. "Okay. I love you!" He sung to Neave, dancing on his perch. They watched Joey, their eyes filled with appreciation. "Be good, Joe." She began walking towards the front door, waving behind. "Bye!" Joey shouted across the living room as she gradually disappeared from his sight.

"You've got my number. If I've forgotten anything, give me a ring." Neave stepped outside, watching her mum struggle to force the bags into the boot of her car. She sped up the path, turning back to wave. "Look after little one! Don't feed him chocolate!" Her voice began to fade away as she reached the car. "I will, and I won't feed him chocolate, never in a million years!" Christie shouted over the noises of cars driving past. "Bye!" they shout in sync, slowly turning to their opposite ways.

Christie stepped into her house and looked at Joey, he looked curious and unsettled. "Don't worry, we'll be okay. Not much will change, trust me." She reassured the elegant African Grey and pushed the door close. Joey stared at the door, thinking about what really happened.

Slumping herself onto the leather couch, Christie looked at her phone to skim read three texts. One from Phoebe and two from Neave.

1 New message from Phoebebebe
9:38am: I'll be late, I forgot my homework lol

2 New messages from Neavie
9:51am: This has been difficult for the both of us. Thanks for the good times, it's a shame they come to an end.

9:53am: Take care of yourself and Joey, don't let little one be too lonely. You got each other, you fabulous duo.

Christie was approached by her quick-minded parrot who had escaped his cage once again. He perched himself on her relaxed shoulder, and started to read through the texts. He didn't understand, yet he enjoyed to be occupied. Christie turned to Joey, creating eye contact. Her eyes glistened as she smiled at her loveable parrot. "We're the best duo out there, aren't we Joey?"

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hope you enjoyed this chapter. This is dedicated to you, and you know who you are. Thanks for helping me in the early production of Intelligence: Joey's story. - Christie