Chapter Sixteen

The week leading up to Aurora's sixteenth birthday passed by so quickly that all who lived within the human kingdom didn't know where to put themselves. They were under strict instructions from the King and Queen not to discuss the curse; but, of course, that's all they wanted to talk about.

The only person that wasn't filled with dread was Aurora, for she was the only one unaware of what awaited her the next day. However, she couldn't help but feel the strange atmosphere that crushed around her.

"What is wrong with everybody?" she asked Claudia and Cezanne's long faces, not able to contain her concern. "It's my birthday tomorrow and everyone is walking around like they're about to attend a funeral!"

Carabosse watched Claudia then quickly glanced towards Cezanne. The fairy's nervous face showed the conflict going on between her heart and mind. She eventually shook her head, making Claudia turn back towards Aurora to carry on brushing her long, golden hair, in sad silence.

Worry embedded itself deeply into Aurora's gut.

"What's going on?" she said in a hurt, trembling voice. "Why are you not talking to me?"

Suddenly the hairbrush in Claudia's hand was slammed against the princess's dressing table, making Aurora jump.

"This is stupid!" Claudia hissed, angrily. "Why can't we just tell her? She has the right to know!"

"We can't, the King and Queen..." Cezanne began looking nervously over her red clad shoulder.

"What is the point of it all though? Will Aurora's lack of knowledge stop it from happening?"

"No, of course not. Nothing can stop it!" Cezanne snapped in a hushed voice, hoping that Claudia would take the hint and lower her voice too.

A dark smile stretched across Carabosse's hidden face.

Feeling ignored, Aurora angrily got to her feet. "Why are you talking as though I'm not here?" she demanded. "What is this all about? What is everybody keeping from me?"

"Aurora, I'm sorry, we just can't..." Cezanne began, but was soon interrupted.

"No, Fairy Cezanne! This isn't fair!"

"Claudia..." Cezanne warned, as the lady's maid turned to Aurora and stood face-to-face to her, holding her hands firmly on the princess's trembling shoulders.

"I'll tell you, Princess, I don't care what happens to me! You have a right to know."

"Claudia, don't you dare!"

Cezanne's objections fell on deaf ears.

"You were cursed, Aurora. When you were a baby," Claudia said, throwing caution to the wind. "You are cursed to fall into a death sleep on your sixteenth birthday."

Aurora's face looked as though it was slapped. Fully believing her best friend, she collapsed back onto her expensive, upholstered stool, and stared into the vast emptiness that opened up in front of her.

Carabosse hushed the wicked laugh that was fighting to escape her, as she watched a frightened tear trickle down the princess's cheek.

"I'm cursed? W-who would do such a thing?" Aurora asked under her trembling breath.

"An evil, jealous fairy," Cezanne began. A scowl etched its way onto Carabosse's brow in response to the red rose fairy's claim.

"Who is this fairy?"

"The dark fairy, Carabosse," Cezanne answered, no longer seeing the point of holding back, since Claudia already blurted the truth out.

"B-but why me? What have I done?" Aurora's words fought against her tears.