CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Doom and Gloom

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved
Sharp Practice by Sierra B 

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

I landed hard, shoulder first onto the freshly rained on wet grass. With a groan I rolled over and looked at Kris who pushed himself into a sitting position.

"You need to work on your landing," he groaned as he slowly made his way onto his feet.

"I know," I grunted as he helped me off of the ground. I wiped the stray pieces of grass off my clothes and shivered a little in the cool desert air. "I thought California was supposed to be hot," I huffed making a fog cloud out of my breath.

"That's during the summer," Kris shrugged and stuffed his hands into his jacket pockets.

I shivered again and rubbed my hands together as I looked around. We had landed in the front yard of the house that looked exactly like Kris pictured, the house he and John stayed in. Even with Kris’s pictured thought I hadn't expected the house to look so normal, with how my parents acted about John I thought the house would look like a villain’s lair with bodyguards and traps and other things of the sort but it just looked like your average middle class home. It was off putting.

"So," Kris said after a minute of standing in the cold, "are we going to go in or not?"

I took a deep breath and made another breath cloud before I clenched my fist to my sides and trudged up the walkway and onto the porch. When I got to the door, I paused not entirely sure what to do. I turned to Kris, who stood behind me, with a questioning look on my face.

He rolled his eyes as he leaned past me and pressed the doorbell before he pulled open the screen door and held it so it wouldn’t close on me.

From the other side of the door I heard a faint 'whoosh' noise before it opened and revealed a black eyed Yuri. Her already annoyed expression contorted to anger at the sight of me and she lunged at me with her fist raised and a half growl half squeal-like noise escaping her lips. Before she could get past the doorway she flew backward and crashed into the wall of the foyer.

"That wasn't necessary," Kris said as he stepped around me to check on Yuri who laid sprawled on the floor out cold.

I stepped inside after him and closed the door behind me as I argued, "She would've hit me if I hadn't."

He knelt down in front of her and moved her limp head around as he surveyed the damage and assumed that she now had a concussion along with her black eye. He turned to me with a frown, "Ginger you hurt her kind of bad... will you-"

"No!" I cut him off before he could finish his question. "I already know what you're gonna ask and the answer is no!"

"Ginger!"

"She tried to attack me!" I cried and threw my hands in the air. "I'm not fixing her!"

Kris started to try to argue again when one of the brunette boys from earlier skidded to a halt in the foyer and nearly collided into the wall himself. I took that second to survey at him: he looked older than I originally thought he was, maybe in his early to mid-twenties, he had strong, prominent features, sullied bronzed skin, chocolate brown hair that fell in waves just above his ear, and big light brown eyes one of which was swelled shut. He stared at me with his good eye in both shock and suspicion and looked me up and down before he scrutinized the scene.

"What happened?" he asked, his voice deeper than I had expected it to be.

Kris stood up as he explained, "Yuri charged at Rhylee and she threw her into the wall knocking her out. She hit her head pretty hard, I felt a little bit of blood in her hair. She might have a concussion."