Reaching For You

Don't have to be right

Just wanted you to stay the way you are

Kind hearted, always smiling, but

If tears can be measured, it took this long but

I've barely made it by your side (Barely made it)

And found you

This time when I wake up I'm sitting against my door. I used to wait here for you. Back against the door so I'd know right away if you came home. I wish you'd ever left. Never felt the need to go. You used to always be there for me. Smiling at me, offering kind words, just being there.

"Why'd you go?" I'm crying again but I can't bring myself to care. The tears make my eyes burn and I can feel the dull ache in my head. I must have hit it at some point.

My tears are salty as they roll down my face. If tears could bring you back then I'd cry every day. Surely it'd be enough. But reality is cold and harsh and as often as my tears overflow I'm disappointed.

The memories are fading from around the room. I can't see you anymore. See us. I'm crying, reaching to drag them back, to keep them here. Keep you here.

And then I feel it. Like someone pressing against my back. Where there is no longer a door, but you. And now that I've found you again, I won't ever let you go.

I'm turning, reaching for you-