Chapter Eight

Liz POV

I stood behind my front door looking through the peephole. 

Nobody was there.

I was confused at who could've knocked on my door and disappeared so fast. Mystic Falls was quiet at this hour, everyone seemed locked into their home. I made sure all my doors and windows were locked, then ran up the stairs to my room. 

I didn't feel afraid, nor creeped out. It just felt eerie. A little uncomfortable, a little peaceful. I shrugged it off and fell into a deep sleep, assuming my dad would come home soon. 

The next morning I woke up to several texts from Elena. 

Hey Liz, how are you? I know today was a long day for you.

But I really just wanted to check up and see if you were alright. Damon kinda.. ran off and we haven't seen him. Its nothing unusual- he needs some time and space to himself, but I wasn't sure if you saw him at all? Stephen is just worried and I wanted to make sure you're okay :) 

Damon left? 

Just like that he ran off. Because of a fight with his brother.

Or maybe something else. 

It was kinda odd, I didn't expect Damon to be that type. I've been in Mystic Falls for merely a week and theres already something going on. 

Nothing in life is temporary, I reminded myself.

I texted Elena back, assuring her I was okay and haven't seen Damon since his temper tantrum. 

I shouldn't have said it like that, it was probably something bigger then a temper tantrum. I could understand he had anger issues, but how could you flip out like that?

Damon seemed lost within himself, running away or getting mad when someone would direct him to the truth. I tried pushing it to the back of my mind, but Damon was the main topic my new friends were talking about. 

Until Caroline got pissy and changed the subject to some back to school party which was next friday night. 

I smirked to myself, thinking about some of the parties I went to in my sophomore year of high school. Memories of alcohol, weed, bonfires, beer pong, and dancing flooded into my head. After that school year I stopped going to big parties like that, around the same time my mother and 17 year old sister left our family. 

Stop. Do not think of them right now. Focus on the present, on this very moment. Thats all in the past.

"You're gonna come, right Liz?" Caroline asked me, causing me to snap out of my thoughts.

"Oh-um parties aren't really my thing," I explained with a small and kind smile, trying to be polite. 

"Oh come on Liz, everyone goes! We can introduce you to some new people and just us girls can have a sleepover after!" Caroline said with a glimmer of excitement in her eyes.