Level 10: Backstory

Sometimes, a game's characters have a specific backstory that is unique to them.

If you figure out the backstory and use it to understand the character's strengths and weaknesses, you'll find yourself leveling up quicker than before.

~~~

The entire bus ride back to Nekoma High was dead silent. Coaches Nekomata and Naoi were up front, quietly discussing the various rounds of practice that had been played. The rowdy volleyball players were all out cold, completely undisturbed by the bumps in the road that made them knock their heads against the windows and slide off the back rest. Some of the quieter players, Chiyuri and Kenma included, were awake, but they stayed silent as they let the drone of the bus rumble through the air.

"Oh, there." Chiyuri pointed to the corner of Kenma's phone screen, pointing out the small monster that they were hunting in the game. Kenma quickly guided his character over, drawing the blade on the little avatar and quickly dispatching the rare spawn.

"Did we need anything else for the quest?" Kenma asked, his eyes locked to moving the little character away.

"No. That was the last one."

Chiyuri yawned, using her hand to cover her mouth as tears dotted the corner of her eyes. Kenma followed shortly after with a wide yawn of his own. Despite his eyes feeling as if he had ten ton blocks on them, he wanted to finish this last quest. It would get him to the next level.

"Kenma," Chiyuri called, making him glance up at her. She let out a tired giggle and used her head to gesture to his phone. "You're running against a wall."

Indeed, Kenma must've been more tired than he had thought since his character was running in place next to the wall. He sighed, spinning the little virtual joystick and bringing his character to the doorway. He quickly handed in the quest, let out a relieved breath as the familiar sound of the character leveling up beeped quietly from the phone. If he hadn't leveled up, he would've forced himself to stay awake for just a bit longer until he got that level up.

It took barely a minute before Kenma's head fell onto Chiyuri's shoulder. The tired girl barely reacted to the weight and just shuffled so that he wasn't straining his neck. Gently, she pulled the phone out of Kenma's hands, stuffing it into his backpack for safekeeping before leaning against the window. It wasn't long before the soft, steady breathing of Kenma and the hum of the bus lulled her to sleep.

~~~

When they arrived at Nekoma High School, it was dark and the volleyball members were still dead tired as they dragged themselves sluggishly off the bus. Kenma almost tripped down the steps of the vehicle, practically dragging Chiyuri with him as she attempted to keep him from falling. Luckily for the both of them, Kuroo was right there and managed to snatch Kenma by the back of his shirt before they both went down. Kuroo set the younger setter down, but Kenma barely made it three steps before he just decided to sit on the concrete and nod off. Chiyuri, who was somehow more awake than any of the members, stood by Kuroo as they stared at the pudding-haired boy.

"C'mon Kenma. Wake up. We still have to get home." Kuroo stared expectantly down at the boy who only waved a tired hand.

"I'll just sleep out here tonight."

"You're not camping here." The rooster-haired boy rolled his eyes and grabbed Kenma by his arm. Kenma protested briefly, but he had no energy to fight against Kuroo.

"Wait..." Kenma yawned as he was forced to stand on his own two feet. "We should walk Yuri home."

"My home isn't that close to you two's," Chiyuri noted with a frown. The last time the three of them walked home together, Kuroo split off about half way, leaving Kenma and Chiyuri to walk to her house. Plus, Kenma had briefly mentioned that his house was about a 15 minute walk from hers.