April 5th, 1978

A gentle breeze blows in through the cracked open windows in Aster's room, the willow tree right outside her window blowing along with it. The sun seeps in too, landing on Aster's face, warming her up. She smiles in her sleep as she shifts over to be more in the sun. Her hair cascades over her shoulder, covering half of her face like a blanket. But she doesn't care. She's warm without overheating under the blankets. Comfortable. Feels like home. That's the only thing she cares about.

But then someone's brushing her hair out of her face and she can no longer feel the warm sun against her skin. She can't even make out the light through her closed eyelids. It's like her own personal eclipse.

For a few seconds, she decides to let it go. Perhaps one of the house elves finally decided to close her blinds. Maybe the sun went behind a cloud or two. It's not like it's gone forever. But eventually the curiosity does get the better of her (does curiosity kill bunnies too or just cats? (Professor McGonagall should be careful regardless)) and she opens up her eyes. They land on the figure standing in her way of the sun. They soften at first upon realization of what's standing in front of her before shifting between confusion and curiosity (honestly, this much curiosity in the morning can't be good for anyone regardless of what species they are).

"Mornin' Whiskers," the figure greets, their voice soft.

"Moons?" Aster whispers out, her voice a little hoarse from sleep. She props herself up on her elbows and blinks away lingering sleep. Remus smiles softly and waves. "What are you doin' here?" she asks around a yawn. "I thought you were supposed to come after lunch?"

Remus shrugs. "I couldn't resist coming to see the birthday girl earlier in the day," he offers with a brighter smile.

He needed to see her alone after the conversation he had with his mother. Needed to see for himself how stupid he was thinking she'd suddenly stopped loving him. It truly is remarkable how his mind works.

She smiles back, rolling over onto her back to prop herself up against the many pillows Euphemia insists on keeping on her bed. Remus gingerly sits down on the edge of the bed before saying, "I also wanted to be the first person to wish you a happy birthday." Aster blushes slightly. She glances away to hide it but Remus has already seen it. It still warms his heart that he can make her blush after they've been together for so long. "Happy Birthday, Lucky Bunny."

"Thank you, Love Bite." He scrunches his nose playfully which causes her to start giggling. She yanks him closer to her before resting her head on his chest, listening to the steady beating of his heart. "I'm glad you came early," she whispers, her fingers loosely gripping the front of his jumper. Should it bother her that she's still in her pajamas and he's fully dressed? Probably. Does it? Not at all. After everything they've been through, it doesn't matter at all. "I've missed you." Remus exhales softly, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

"I've missed you too," he confesses.

She shuts her eyes and exhales, fully content where she is. Snuggled close in Remus's arms. His heartbeat ringing in her ears. Remus's nimble fingers running through her hair. She's even gotten her sun back. Perfectly content. Right at home.

Remus lets out a long sigh which catches her attention. She raises an eyebrow, forgetting that he can't see her. Somehow he senses her confusion (or perhaps just knows that one would be confused after such a sigh) so he squeezes her hip and offers her a smile.

"What?" she asks, perking her head up and digging her chin into his chest.

Remus smiles softly at her as he strokes his thumb down the side of her face. Her eyelids grow heavy, almost like she could fall asleep again, but she smiles back, remains awake. Her soft, sleepy, smile that makes Remus' knees buckle when standing up.