3.

Dratless and Mary stood blinking in the sunlight of a fair, cool morning. The Goblin let the question of their destination hang there for a moment as he went through his bag, rummaging until he found a dress and tossed it to Mary.

 “You should put this on. It’s safer than what you’re wearing now. These, too.” He said as Mary took the pale blue garment into her hands, followed by a pair of sturdy brown ankle boots. 

 “Really? What’s wrong with this dress?” she asked, gesturing toward the high-necked white-lace gown that she had chosen the morning of her imprisonment. She had to admit it was not as fresh as it could have been, but it was her favourite.

 “White is a Witch colour.” Dratless stated simply, as if that would explain it.

 “Yes, but I am a Witch?” Mary said, though the lack of confidence in her voice made it sound like a question.  

 “More the reason not to give yourself away by presenting yourself as one. You do recall that there are people looking for you, I hope. And from the way he behaved I suppose they’re not all meaning you well. If everyone thinks you’re just an every day mortal girl travelling with her slave then they might be less inclined to ask awkward questions.” Dratless explained. Mary sighed,

 “That makes a lot of sense.” Picking up the dress she went behind a large tree to change. Pulling on the boots felt strange to her, it had been so long since she had last worn anything on her feet. Witches did not wear shoes as a rule, the better to be closer to the earth. It was symbolic, and for all Mary knew, completely silly, but it felt odd all the same. Folding the white dress carefully she handed it back to Dratless, imploring him to keep it safe. Carefully he tucked it into the pack and began walking, Mary following close behind.

 “So now will you tell me where we’re going?” she asked as he picked up the pace

 “We are heading into town.”

 “But what’s in town? Wait, Dratless stop for a moment!” Mary exclaimed. Dratless seemed so set on making a quick escape that he had neglected Mary's ignorance entirely. Reluctantly the Goblin stopped, turning to face his young charge.

 “We really don’t have time to stop and talk, Mary.” He said; the exaggerated patience in his voice sounded condescending to Mary’s ears

 “I know that. My main concern is everything that I don’t know! I think someone owes me an explanation and it might as well be you.” Mary held his gaze for a moment before the Goblin broke away, defeated.

 “You’re right. I can’t promise you that I have all the answers, but ask me anything you like, as long as we keep moving!”

 “I can do that.” Mary agreed, and they set off toward Moon Town. Their high position on the slope on which the manor perched gave Mary a view of the little houses sitting along the cobbled streets of the town, neat in their rows beside the sea. She could see the ships in the bay, arranged around the circular dock that made Moon Bay famous the world over. Already there were people running over them, loading and unloading their various vessels, starting their perfectly ordinary day. 

 Mary thought the town looked beautiful in the morning light, all gleaming rooftops and sparkling sea. She could hardly believe it had been so long since she had last laid eyes on it at such a short distance. She was thrilled by the thought that she might be standing there quite soon. Eventually she tore her eyes from the sweet scene below and turned her attention to Dratless.

 “I suppose the best place to start is why all of this is happening to me. Do you know?” Mary asked. Dratless furrowed his brow

 “In a way I suppose I do, though I don’t rightly understand any of it, really. Does the word Witchward mean anything to you? He kept on saying you were one, but I have no idea what he was talking about…” Dratless stopped speaking as soon as he realised Mary was no longer walking beside him, but had stopped in her tracks. She had come over light-headed and took a deep, steadying breath to try and maintain equilibrium.