Chapter 3

Enjoy!

Y/n
Everyone's bustling in the hall trying to get to their classes as Hermione and I make our way down to the Potions classroom, where Slughorn's teaching this year. She had convinced me to take it with her because I wanted to become something along the lines of a magical profession, so I agreed. Slughorn was going on about attention to detail and such with planning just as Harry and Ron strolled in through the door behind him. "Ah, Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn says, turning all the way to face the two.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at potions, a menace, actually. So I'm just gonna-" Ron gets cut off by Harry grabbing his arm just as he starts to turn around. "Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." the professor points at them and Harry tells him that neither of them have gotten their books yet. Slughorn points at the cabinet behind him and they both go over to get their books. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Hermione's hand shoots up and he points at her, "Yes, Miss.."

"Granger, sir. That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice potion. It's terribly tricky to make. And that one's Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mowed grass, new parchment and.." She lingers on the last one, but finishes, "treacle tart."

Quickly, she turns away and walks back over to me, but just as she does I get a whiff of the potion. I get blasted with the scent of chocolate, broomstick polish, and Ron. Him, his cologne, his hair, just all of it at once. My heart starts pounding as I glance back at him with a smile. He reciprocates and Slughorn spoke, "Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." He closes the lid as Lavender, Pugface Parkinson, and two other gryffindor girls I don't recognize get closer to try and smell what they're attracted to.

I look back to a flustered Hermione and she's grown incredibly pink in the face. I smile and shake my head, "Couldn't come up with anything better than treacle tart, eh?" She nudges me with her elbow and I laugh a little, looking back at her. One of the 2 girls I don't know speaks, "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." She gestures to one that is incredibly small and clear. "Oh yes. What you see before you ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis." He unscrews the small bottle and holds it up for us to see. "But it is more commonly referred to as-"

"Liquid luck." Hermione spouts. "Yes, Miss Granger, Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out however, only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all." He lets us off and the four of us grab a table together.

We all try to cut our Sopophorus beans, causing them to got flying around the room. One actually knocked me in the back of the head, surprisingly. I glance up at Ron standing across from me as he's trying to cut the bean. His nose is scrunched as he continuously fails to cut the bean and I smile, shaking my head and looking over at Harry. "How'd you do that?" I ask him as he squeezes the bean's juice into his cauldron.

"Crush it, don't cut it." He states, glancing at his book. "Really? It makes a difference?" I reply, Hermione looks at me like I've gone mad, then looking at Harry, "The instructions specifically say to cut it, though." He shrugs and she continues trying to cut the bean. I crush it instead, taking his advice and soon, I'm on the next instruction. I glance around the room, seeing Seamus' potion blow up in his face, then Goyle's mixing spoon melt inside the cauldron.

I snicker and turn back to mine, continuing to follow instructions.

Eventually, it is time to present our potions to the professor, and mine is somehow orange. He drops a leaf into the cauldron and it spits it out, the leaf landing on the table. I sigh as he moves over to Harry and it's basically perfect, considering Slughorn's praise. He gives Harry the Liquid Luck and I glance up at Ron with a smirk on my face. He shrugs and we start clapping for him.

***

Harry, Ginny, and I all stand in front of the bustling group of people trying out for the Quidditch team. Ron is basically the only one present and standing at the front of the group. Harry starts to speak, and no one's listening. Ginny yells at them to shut up and finally, Harry can get a word out.

"Now then, remember, just because you made the team last year does not guarantee you a spot this year. Is that clear?" No one responds. "Good." Harry starts everyone up and Ginny and I immediately start racing. McLaggen, the only other guy going for keeper other than Ron, kicks and catches many of the quaffles we throw at him. Ginny tosses me the quaffle and I get chased by two newbies, both of them crashing into each other behind me. I smirk and hurl the quaffle towards McLaggen, but he misses. A blonde girl trying for Chaser throws it over at Ron and he flips over, bumping it with his head.

I hear a loud squeal in the crowd and notice that Lavender Brown is literally jumping with joy at Ron's block. I send a scowl over to her and she doesn't notice, clearly busy fawning over my ginger. Harry calls the end of the game and we all go down. He dismisses all the people and we all get to the common room together, meeting Hermione halfway.

I lean against the armchair as Ron sits on the couch and Harry and Hermione sit next to each other on the floor, Ron's legs separating the two. "I have to admit, I thought I was going to miss that last one. I hope Cormac's not taking it too hard. He's got a bit of a thing for you Hermione, Cormac." Ron brags, tapping Hermione's shoulder once he says that last thing. I raise a brow at Harry as his head tilts slightly over to Hermione at back to his book.

"He's vile." She states, looking back at the newspaper splayed on her lap. Ron looks over his shoulder at the brightly lit table in front of the stairs and I follow his gaze over to that nitwit, Lavender Brown. Ron looks over at Harry as he asks Hermione if she's ever heard of some spell called, Sectumpempra. She says no, but starts to lecture him, "If you'd have a shred of self respect, you'd hand the book in."

"Not bloody likely. He's top of the class. He's even better than you Hermione. Slughorn think's he's a genius." Ron goes on about the Potions book that Harry got in the cupboard when he and Ron fought over the newest one. Hermione looks over at Ron, extremely annoyed. "What?" He asks, Hermione rolling her eyes.

"I'd like to know who's book that was, let's have a look, shall we?" She extends her arm and Harry backs away, cradling the book in his arm, "No." She asks him why not as they both stand. I take the opportunity and slide onto the couch next to Ron from behind Hermione. "The binding is fragile." Is all Harry says as he starts to walk away. "The binding is fragile?" Hermione asks, her voice full of disbelief.

Ginny slips it out of Harry's hand when he's not paying attention and asks, "Who's the Half-Blood Prince?"

"Who?" I ask.

Ginny takes a few steps back, continuing, "That's what it says right here, "This book is property of the Half-Blood Prince." Ginny tosses the book back at him and he just silently walks away.

The two girls just look at each other with confusion written all over their faces.

Alrighty! I'm was in a car with no internet to do my homework, so I took the opportunity to write another chapter! I hope you guys like it :)

Word Count: 1540