Chapter 2

Chapter 2 (Aria)

The new world opening to me is exhilirating.

Shops are crammed against each other, each a different shade. Bustling crowds chatter away, some dressed like typical humans, and others like, well...different. Witch hats and attenae peek out from the mobs. Sun rays creep up behind the towering buildings.

Where am I? I wonder to myself.

As I turn around, I am surprised to see that the brick wall has vanished. All that is in its stead is a long continuation of cobblestone street, with houses like any other.

How can this be? Perhaps this is a - a mirage of some sort. A dream. This is unreal, a trick of the mind. This could not be possible.

I stumble around, dazed. This place is magicial. It enthralls me. And something, something undefinable, something mystical, is in the air... But I have to get moving. For the moment, I am out of danger's way, but I do not know this place or its people. They cannot be trusted. I have to get information.

I whip out my phone, only to find no reception. What the hell? Noah had clearly stated that this phone was specially designed, and I could talk to him from every single place in this world. But then again, he did warn me against calling him...

So I am alone in a place where I am completely clueless. What a great start to my adventure, right?

~*~*~*~*~*

The afternoon sun beats upon my back. The crowds have dispersed, all heading home or to restaurants to get something to eat. My stomach is grumbling, and my throat parched. I almost feel like giving up, but I know I can't. I've wanted this for too long now. I'd take this anyday over the GMSS. I wonder what's happening right now over there. Going berserk, probably. Searching for me.

I'm shaken out of my thought as a boy about my age strolls up to me.

"Hi," he says. His voice is husky and tentative, as if scared to approach me.

"Hi," I say in return. I'm not much of a talker...and apparently neither is he.

"Umm, I just saw you from across the street and you look kind of lost. Can I help you?"

I stare deep into his olive green eyes in surprise. This was the first piece of kindness I had recieved ever since I had gotten here.

"Oh. Yeah. I mean yes. I'd love to get some information on this place...You see, I kind of just got here, and it was through this brick wall in Shanghai. And these men, part of the GMSS, were chasing me. But I'm sorry. You probably don't know the GMSS. It's like an organization hunting down people like me. I can't really tell you much, but I'd really just like to know where I am. And know I'm sounding kinda crazy right now, I kn-" I blabbed. I don't know why I did. Perhaps it was the sudden warmth and care that came from him, or his smile. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I did. He cut me off though, thankfully, and chuckled.

"Girl, you did the right thing. This is a hidden city. It has no name, but it's where people like you take refuge, or live here forever. That's all I can tell you right now. I better take you up to the boss."

I blushed and nodded."I'm Aria by the way."

"Zach."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"The Boss" looked exactly like his name sounded. He sat in his leather cowhide chair, leaning back. His streaky grey hair was slicked back, and his mouth was set in a permanant frown of disdain. His glasses were square and black rimmed; his suit was a mottled black-grey with sharp creases.