26 | lady almswood

The truth behind what had truly happened on that day shocked me senseless, but strangely I did not show it. I could not wrap my mind around the fact that I had been dead for two whole days before I was revived, but according to Edmund, that was
what had happened, and he was not the type to tell lies.

"What is that green liquid that you mentioned before?" I asked him.

Edmund mulled over the question for a moment before replying, " It was concocted by an alchemist on my brother-in-law's orders. You see, Anna-Maria was a stillborn."

"But she's alive and well, isn't she?" I quickly said. I could not believe my ears, and I was starting to doubt my own sanity. Was I hallucinating, or did Edmund lose his mind?

"She was revived, Annie. The exact same way you were. But there is something that you must know. The potion can only be used once, and if you die again, there is no way to revive you again," he explained.

"Then, I shall just, not die..."

Edmund smiled softly, but it did not reach his eyes. He opened
his mouth to speak but ended up not saying a word. Edmund then pulled me into an embrace, holding me tightly. He rested his chin on the top of my head, and he made a sound of approval.

"Yes, Annie. Stay alive, so that we can fulfill your dreams together," he whispered into my hair, hugging me so tightly as if he were afraid that I would suddenly disappear.

A few months had passed since that incident, and I gradually saw less of Edmund during this time. He visited me in Rhyland as much as he could, but he was mostly in the military barracks
near Cantergarre Mountains, and he dragged my brother together with him.

He now resided in Blytherock Castle, an old, ancient building that overlooked the sea and was located in Lockebel, the same region as the barracks. Although I was used to the warm, glittering blue southern sea, since Winterbourne Castle was a few minutes away from the Southern Gulf, I had never stepped foot in Lockebel, or seen the cold, bleak western sea. I had been told that you could see the easternmost islands of Ravier from Blytherock Castle, and now I felt even more tempted to go there.

We were to be married in two months from now, and around twenty seamstresses had invaded my chambers, each fussing with each other about the suitable colour for my wedding dress.

At first, I wanted a gown of periwinkle hue, reflecting my heritage as the daughter of the House of Winterbourne, but I eventually settled with a white gown trimmed with the
Chauvelot gold, to signify my allegiance to the House of Chauvelot.

Lisbeth had sent a letter saying that she would not attend, and my mother was far from enthusiastic either. I had no friends either, so there was barely anyone to attend my marriage. I was
disappointed, but then I received a letter from the north. Claudie said that she would surely attend, but she would have to disguise herself first. A few days later, I received another letter, this time from Almswood Castle.

My Lady Anne,

I am incredibly pleased to hear that you will be married at last. I would love to attend, but first I must find a way to escape this place. My father has not allowed me to go out and I am essentially a prisoner. But rest assured Lady Anne, for I will certainly find a way out.

Lady Cecily de Chauvelot

I felt concerned for Cecily's wellbeing, especially from the lines 'Essentially a prisoner'. However, I also knew that King Edward was a horrible father and locking his own daughter in a tower did not seem too farfetched.

Eventually, I decided to send a letter to Gilbert, telling him to visit Princess Cecily at Almswood, and to bring food with him, as I doubted that she was well-fed there. Gilbert and I were sixteen that year, and my brother had grown up from being a scrawny. pale and thin teenager into a strapping
young man. The days he spent in the training fields had darkened his skin considerably, making his periwinkle coloured eyes look even more promnent.