Chapter 11

Gamichee stood at the balcony, looking over the grassy valley. It was a gorgeous property that would do Merissa and Adley well for many years. Here on the rolling hills, their children could run free, they could play all day if they were werewolves and stalk through the shadows of a night if they were vampires.

Taking in a deep breath, Gamichee smiled. The sun had set and the cool evening was settling in. He could imagine many wonderful nights here, settled into a comfortable deck chair while watching his grandchildren enjoy the vast land. Perhaps a glass of his vintage blood whiskey matched with fine stogies. It would be bothersome to return to the bustle of the city but he would do it without complaint. After all, it wasn't that far from the club. The half-hour drive seemed quite short.

The thought of the drive weighed heavily on Gamichee's shoulders. Merissa informed him that she'd spoken to her friends about her thoughts and seeing her siblings again, believing that she could trust them. The problem was, she couldn't. One of them was the problem, one of them sold Merissa out.

Gamichee was now torn with anger, at himself more than anything. He should have warned her yet he'd foolishly tried to keep her out of that world. It was a mistake.

It pained him to think that this could happen to her. He didn't want to see a repeat of Gina and with her in mind, Gamichee called in a favour of an old friend. He'd swing by, pick up the two girls and take them to the club basement for a friendly chat. Unlike the two vampires that had actually watched and invaded Merissa's home, the women would not meet a sticky end unless Carson thought it was ideal.

Gamichee's phone hadn't rung yet which made him uneasy. He knew that Carson could handle anything and with Chad by his side, there was no fear in anything untoward happening.

Hearing footsteps, Gamichee turned to see Merissa walking out.

"What do you think?"

"My opinion matters little, my dear. This is your decision. You are the one that will have to live here."

"But?"

Gamichee smiled with a slight nod.

"But yes, I do like it. Does it fit your requirements?"

"Well, we kind of wanted something that we could build off if the brood becomes too big for the place. This place does have that potential but I worry that it would look weird or obvious."

Stepping away from the balustrade, Gamichee crossed the deck and gripped his daughter by the curve of her shoulders.

"My dear, you needn't worry about that. If you cannot find a contractor that will maintain the current appearance then you could always start a whole new building. There is certainly enough land and I'm sure that you've squirrelled away all of the pocket money I gave you."

Turning out to the view, Gamichee's arm wrapped around Merissa's shoulder while the other projected out in front of them.

"In fact, you could build a large house somewhere down there and leave this one as a guest house or something for the older children. Perhaps closer and connect the two with a pathway. You could have a series of houses. Isn't that standard for werewolves?"

"Pssh," Adley scoffed. "Do I look like I'm still living with my parents?"

Gamichee watched the wolf walk to Merissa's side. When he stopped, the hands went on his hips as he assessed the view.

"Still, a secondary house is a good idea."

The real estate agent walked out, all smiles as she approached.

"What are we thinking?"

Adley looked at Merissa, his gaze slid to Gamichee who was eagerly awaiting her thoughts.

"It's okay."

His lips tightened as Adley's eyes narrowed. There was that word again. Okay.

"Well, I'm sure that we have something else."

The woman thought that she'd hit a sale. It was difficult, she'd gone against every fear she had about dealing with vampires but her father's chiding words that all were equal in this new world echoed through her mind when she greeted the couple earlier this evening.

"I like it," Adley piped up.

The woman offered an uneasy smile, trying to figure out why he just grunted at her.

"Sorry, is there something wrong with your friend?"

"He's just got a sore throat and doesn't want to speak. You know, it hurts too much."

"Oh," The woman said with a sympathetic smile.

"But I think he was trying to say that it's too expensive."

"Ris," Adley grumped.

"After all, it's over a million dollars."

The real estate agent hesitated again. Most properties in this region were in this price range.

"I see. Well, I know that the house is a little understated but what it lacks in features it certainly makes up for in space. As I said earlier, this property is over six hectares. The creek runs through the property and you've got river frontage."

"Yeah but it's over a mil. Come on, it's only got four bedrooms. And those countertops, pee-yew."

Straightening herself rather than the slack-jawed stance, the woman offered an obligatory smile.

"Alright Miss Larmen, if you were to offer the vendors a price, what would it be?"

"Nine-eighty."

The woman nodded and with a waggle of her phone, she offered a smile and walked away.

"Damn baby. You know how to drive a hard bargain. Do you really dislike the countertops?"

"Yep. It's the first thing that's going."

Adley was a little stunned at her resolute nature.

"But they look brand new." He said in almost a whisper.

"Don't care," Merissa cooed.

Gamichee chuckled as he shook his head. How she reminded him of Marguerite. They weren't mother and daughter by blood but that blessed woman had raised her into a fine young lady with much of her sass and stubbornness instilled deep into her veins.

When Gamichee reached the end of the deck, he momentarily glanced back at his daughter and the wolf that had captured her heart. Adley had his arms wrapped around Merissa, hugging her hard. The sight warmed his heart and he was grateful that she'd found someone that cared so deeply.