Prologue

Atlas was the hero in the story long before he ever became the villain. The world that he lived in was sorted into three realms—a realm for angels, a realm for humans, and a realm for demons and Reapers. These realms were not meant to mix or tangle with one another. The power dynamics were set in place to ensure a balanced world where good and evil would never intermingle. It made sense that Atlas, an angel, was a hero because in the core of angels, there are only good intentions. Atlas, from a very young age, was taught to only be pure and kind. To never harm others or himself.

While angels were taught to be only good, demons were taught the complete opposite. The children of demons thrive on chaos; finding joy in the destruction of others around them. They were solely evil and seeked to rule all of the realms. Yet, they remain underground, hidden beneath the humans, controlling the dead. Their ruler, Samiel, holds power not only over the demons, but also the Reapers. The Reapers, hand picked by the demon lord, were the most vicious of all the species. They took Death willingly and often violently, not preserving human life at all.

The Reapers contain great power, controlling the keys to Death, and are the only beings allowed to take a life. The demons and angels could kill, but the kills would not last forever. Their kills would not go into the afterworld, but instead return back to their living bodies.

Death was not a question but instead the answer to balancing the realms. While the angels and demons could have their fun, only the Reapers would control who could enter the afterlife. This prevented a full on bloodshed in the human world.

And humans, the last realm, were neither good nor evil. They were a mixture between both, and for this, they were seen as the inferior race. They had no abilities, no wings, or horns that made them distinct. They were fragile beings meant to be ruled. But the question was, by who?

Who decided what beings were meant to be ruled or those who would do the ruling? The Reapers controlled the keys to Death so they argued it should be them. The demons ruled over the Reapers therefore giving them the right to rule over humans because clearly they have the most experience. And the angels, well the angels believe they could do no harm to humans, and that they would be the wisest choice.

The humans had no choice in the matter. Their only fate was Death. Every decision between their births and Death would be inconsequential to the future of the world. They would not rule themselves and could not fight against the angels or the demons in fear of upsetting the balance of the world. A change to the balance could be the catalyst to a world-ending war between all realms. The realms have to remain separated until the end of time to ensure the future of their worlds. A joining between the realms must be avoided at all costs.