Chapter 1

Azriel's POV

Azriel lay in his bed in the House of the Wind, his head a conflicting mess. It had been two days since the night on Winter Solstice, when he had almost made one of the biggest mistakes of his life. What good would it do him to fall in love with another woman he could never have?

He would have his heart broken in the end. And he had had enough control over himself with Mor in the past few centuries, so what had happened that night? When Elain, sweet, beautiful Elain had given him his gift, he couldn't see anything besides her lovely face and all he had felt was the desire coursing through his veins.

Then Rhys had showed up and Azriel had to turn away from Elain's upturned face and bear the hurt he had caused.

He let out a broken laugh in his empty room.

Rhys, his High Lord, whom he had never fought with like this before, had forbade Azriel from pursuing Elain and threatened that he would regret it if he did. He still didn't know what had overcome him to say those things to Rhys out loud that he hadn't yet admitted to himself.

There was a sliver of him that had believed that he was worthy enough for Elain. There was a small part of him, a part that whispered to him that he was good.

But after that night, he knew that naive sliver in him had died.

He was a bastard born nobody.

A shadowsinger who no one possibly deserved.

And maybe it was best that way.

Azriel got up from his bed, put on a pair of pants and a shirt, and quietly opened the door to his room. Hearing the sounds coming from Cassian's - well, Nesta and Cassian's - room, he was hit with the feeling of loneliness so intense, that he felt as if he couldn't breathe. He hadn't been held by anyone all five centuries of his miserable existence, and he knew it wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

He made his way to the balcony of the House of the Wind, glad that he would be moving into the town house within a few days. He was very happy for both of his brothers, who he believed deserved happiness for all their hardships and struggling. He had once thought the same for himself, but he knew better now. He wasn't worthy of someone as pure as Elain, as bright as Mor. Apparently, the Cauldron agreed with him.

Azriel stood on the balcony, looking over the city of Velaris, breathing in the crisp air. He shot up into the sky in an attempt to cool down his mind, not that flying had done anything the last two sleepless nights.

He glided across the star ridden sky of Velaris, glad for the chill that bit at him. He deserved every bit of misery he felt.

Azriel didn't retire to his room that night.

Didn't get any sleep the next night either.

Nor the next.

Nor the next.

✨✨✨

Word Count: 603

Hi guys!! This chapter seem nice? It's a little short but it is the first fanfic I'm writing. I'll try my best to make the next ones longer!! This story is a continuation of the bonus chapter that was given in A Court of Silver Flames. Many of you may not have read that, so I'd suggest reading it before continuing this! 

Disclaimer- The fanart I'm posting is not mine; its just how I imagine the characters and I found it online.

Any positive feedback would be appreciated and of course I'm always open to any ideas!

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!

-BookAddict79