Part 3

Elisa saw Alexandra in her guest room first. The walls were lined with Italian books, the leathery smell of which reminded her of her favorite library back at Cambridge. Alexandra sat at the edge of a velvety four-poster bed, clutching on to the silky-looking sides of it. Elisa stood close to the window which looked down on to the canal which was still full of candlelit boats.

'Alexandra, what was your relationship with Lord Rhys exactly?'

'Lord Rhys? Well, I've known him for a while I suppose. I met him at university, around about the time I met David.'

Her voice sounded ever so slightly less posh now. She shuffled on the bedside.

'He's a friend of David's so he became a friend of mine too.'

'I see,' said Elisa. 'So you met David and Rhys at university then?'

'Yes. David and I study History, Rhys studies – studied – English.'

'Right,' said Elisa. 'Forgive me but I couldn't help but notice that you are the only one without a title. No ladyship or anything like that?'

Alexandra moved her hands to her lap and looked down at them. Her jaw clenched so lightly it was barely visible.

'No ladyship, no,' she said, her voice rising.

'What do your family do?'

'My Mother doesn't work and my Dad is in property.'

'I see.'

'Have you been hanging around with Princes and Lords all your life?'

'Ah well, no I don't suppose I have. I met them at university. They seem to like my company and I like theirs.'

She ran her fingers through her shimmering hair.

'What are your feelings for the Prince?'

She lifted her chin, showing the full beauty of her face with its dewy skin and lovely big eyes.

'I love him.'

'And what are your plans for the future?'

'We are going to be married,' she said, without pause.

There was that self-satisfied smile again, faintly showing up in her lips.

'Are you engaged?'

'No but we shall be. Especially when this sorry business is over.'

'You don't mind the thought of living your whole life in the spotlight like he has?'

'Mind? Being a Princess? How could I mind that? The spotlight hasn't done him any harm has it? It would make everything so much better.'

She coughed and felt for her tissue once more, lightly sniffing and looking downwards once again. A desire to improve her life? Elisa could understand that. After her Dad had left when she was small her Mum had struggled to give them what they needed and it was Elisa who had finally solved their poverty by moving to Cambridge and becoming a detective. To her at that time – it had felt almost as good as becoming a Princess.

Elisa moved from the window and walked around the room, taking in its delicate Venetian charm. She passed by the side of an alluring dressing table complete with intricately etched mirror. Perfume, make-up and hairbrushes were lined neatly side by side and on top of them were a pair of white gloves.

'These are very beautiful,' said Elisa, pointing to them. 'I bet they looked lovely with that dress tonight.'

'Yes, they did,' said Alexandra.