The Town Ambush 5 (Maxine Rowe)

April 11th 2558

"House is clear sir." I say as I walk out of the last house we needed to search. "Good work Rowe, alright Delta 1 listen up. We're moving into the town centre now. Be prepared for another ambush as well as a counter attack." Groves says. "Yes sir!" Me and the rest of Delta 1 say in unison. We then start advancing toward the town centre. "Delta 1 this is Delta 3, we've reached the Town Centre and are securing it. Delta 2 is 1 minute out, how long for you?" Mcallum asks down the radio. "We see you now Delta 3, look up our road." Groves says, then a Spartan in full Security armour turns to us and waves. Groves laughs a bit before jumping off the tank. We all then double time to the town centre. "Good to see you're still kicking Groves." Mcallum says. "I should say the same to you." Groves bites back. "HEY ASSHOLES!" Watts shouts over as she jogs over to Groves and Mcallum. "You took your time Lieutenant." Mcallum says. "Shut up Sergeant." Watts says as Harper walks over. "Nice of you to join us ma'am, orders sir?" Harper asks and I look around, I had a pulling feeling in my stomach so I decided to follow my gut and I walk over to a sewer grate, I aim my AR at it then I pull of the cover seeing a group of Order marines below. "OH SHIT!" They shout as I spray my AR into the sewer killing 4 of them. "SIR THEY'RE BELOW US!" I shout and everyone turns to me as I drop the grate back over the opening, then the road collapses, they had fucking explosives planted below us, I see a tank slide down towards me and I boost out the way, only to turn back and see a marine get crushed by it. The sound of his bones cracking won't leave me. I then look around and notice the collapse from the explosives went pretty far down, must have been a triple layered sewer. Shit. I push myself up and grab my AR before looking around. "GUT!" I hear someone shout and I turn around and see Brians with his leg trapped below a pipe. I run over to him. "Karim?" I ask and I look him over, his visor was completely smashed and his helmet was damaged. Some blood was below him. "Oh my god, I'm going to get you out of here." I say and I grab a hold of the pipe and start trying to lift it off of him, Karim just screams in pain. "FUCK! STOP!" He shouts in agony, I do as he says. "God it hurts so bad." Karim says. I look at him through where his visor would be. "Where does it hurt?" I ask. "Everywhere." Karim says while taking deep breaths, his voice sounded strained. Then he goes limp. "Karim?" I ask before I shake his body a bit. "Karim." I say, tears coming into my eyes. I then take his helmet off to see he wasn't breathing and I shake him again. "Karim? Come on." I say and I check for a pulse, nothing. "MEDIC!" I shout as loud as I can. "I NEED A MEDIC OVER HERE!" I shout again. I then hear someone climbing over the rubble next to me, I quickly aim my AR at them only to see Groves. I quickly lower my AR. "You good Private?" He asks. "Karim sir, he's got no pulse." I say, Groves looks over at Karim and he sighs. "He's gone, I'm sorry." Groves says and I look at Karim, my friend since I joined the army 4 years ago. I close my eyes and sniff a bit, tears falling down my face behind my helmet. "Come on Rowe, we can't stay here." Groves said as he pulls Karims tags. "Let's go." Groves adds as he pats my shoulder. I slowly get up and follow my captain. Gunfire can be heard not too far off. The captain picks up the speed and I follow his actions. "Come on, we have to round up the survivors," Groves says and he climbs over some rubble before holding his hand down to help me up, I accept his help and he pulls me up. "Thank you sir." I say as he slides down the other side of the rubble, I follow him as we round a corner and see a group of marines with Watts in a firefight with some Order Spartans. Groves and I run over and start shooting at them as well. No words are shared between anyone until the Spartans are dealt with. "Good to see you Captain." Watts says. "You too LT." Groves said. "Where are the rest?" Groves asks. "Harper is sticking back with the injured, Mcallum is KIA, as well as 8, Peter and Quartz." Watts said. My heart dropped, I'm the last one. Watts turned to me. "Where's Brains?" She asks and Groves shakes his head. I hear Watts mumble a fuck under her breath. "I'm sorry Maxine. I know you both were good friends." Watts says, I just nod in response. "What do we need to do?" Groves asks Watts. "Well, about 70% of our forces are missing, 20% is injured and 7% is dead." Watts says. "Is this all we have?" Groves asks. "We have about 3 other squads staying with the injured, including surviving medics." Watts says. Groves nods. "Alright, let's go find our missing soldiers, Maxine. You're gonna go back with Davis here and get more Spartans with us then you'll hold down with the injured and help however you can, got it?" Groves says. "Yes sir." I say and I stand up with Davis and we make our way to the wounded.