~Chapter 22~

I was expecting the Thanksgiving dinner to be awkward and full of causal niceties since I had met Angela just once and her son, Chase never. But it was going on better than I'd hoped.

We were all sitting around the round dining table which was circled with some really mouth watering dishes. I tried to steer clear my mind away from my encounter with Skye earlier today and how good it felt to just be close to him. My adamant self wouldn't give in though by actually trying to talk to him at that time and it could get really frustrating.

Angela made us all pray before we began gobbling down the delicious food. Soon, all of us went into a small talk. Even Chase was pretty cool and his personality reminded me so much of Chelsea. They both would get along pretty fine.

What gave me the most comfort was that nobody dared to talk about my pathetic life. Even if they were curious, they didn't show it or maybe my dad must have told them beforehand to keep everything away from that topic. Whatever the case may be, I was grateful to not talk about any of it.

"So, tell me, Valerie, are you liking your time here in Washington?" Angela asked me with a soft smile.

"Can't say that I don't. I think it's the change that I needed," I answered. It was a vague attempt to imply that I was in dire need of some air and that taking a break from New York was benefitting for me.

Angela placed her hand on mine and her features softened with concern. "I am here, okay?" She said it in a very low voice, patting my hand once.

I nodded my head, loving her motherly tender touch.

"The turkey's a blast, Angie. I love it!" Dad complimented with a huge grin, in efforts to ward off the awkwardness.

Well so much for ignoring the truth and it was all me. But it was still good to know that nobody questioned about it any further. 

"Aww, thank you," she gushed, placing her hand on her chest.

"Anyway, Valerie, tell me about NYC. That's like my dream place," Chase said. He seemed really excited. "And heck, I am even thinking about sending my application to NYU."

"It's… good." I shrugged after giving him the lamest reply. "But I'm all for the city lights. Soothes me at night after having a tiring day." Everything and every sentence that I spoke reminded me of how I lost my job so easily within a snap of the fingers. Just like that. "I mean you'll love it." I forced out a smile.

"Well that wasn't such a "descriptive" description but I'll take it. It's actually piqued my interest." He grinned.

And that was how the dinner went. Chill and easygoing. Pretty much what I wanted.

Once it was over, I insisted on helping Angela to wash the dishes while my dad and Chase were discussing extensively about football stuff as he wished to be the team captain.

Angela continued washing the dishes as I wiped them dry before putting them in their designated places. From the looks of it, I knew that she was itching to talk about something but I didn't force her. It was quiet for some time but then she finally sighed and looked at me.

I started laughing at her self restraint and beckoned with my hands to give her the signal to speak up. "Go ahead, Angela. What's it?"

"I just want to know how you're taking everything. I know it could get depressing, which is why I wanna let you know that no matter the distance, you can always talk to me, hmm?" She assured me soothingly.

"I know, Angela, and I am fine, honestly," I even beamed for some added effect.

She didn't seem to be convinced by my words but she didn't push me either.