(84)

Lucas and dad had major concerns about leaving me out at this ranch for the night. Ones I understood because Roman was essentially a stranger to them.

As cautious as I was and slower to trust than I had been in the past, there was something about Roman that made me feel. . . safe.

Lucas and dad wouldn't stop hounding me for the ranch details and address, not that they couldn't have found it online if they put their minds to it. But I knew they wanted my permission to show up unannounced.

We compromised in the end and I agreed to turn on my location as long as they promised not to show up at the ranch. I also promised them that I would send an SOS if I didn't feel safe at any point.

I think the only reason dad was content not to come and get me immediately was because of Roman's chivalry at the game. The way he stood up to a stranger for me, proved he had a good heart. Dad would always be cautious when it came to me though, I accepted that.

The sun was setting over the ranch when we got to the domes. The vast rolling land was illuminated by hues of dusk orange, rays of lingering sunlight touched the tips of dandelions.

"It's gorgeous out here," I said, admiring the four domes spread across the paddock. Clear bubbles plotted far enough from each other that they were private.

"You should see it when the stars come out," Roman said unlocking the door on the dome we'd stopped next to. It was a small door, he had to duck to get inside.

"That's why I'm here," I said, following him inside.

The room was made up of a double bed sitting low on the ground, a rug sat beneath it, a mini fridge, a side table drawer and some lush green house plants to add life to the white colour scheme.

Another small door sat beside the mini fridge and opened into a cove just big enough to fit a toilet.

"It's beautiful," I said, running a finger down the leaf of a large plant. "It's so clean. It smells good in here too."

"The team rotates coming out and doing the housekeeping," Roman explained, switching the mini fridge on. "I wish it was dark already. I'd love to see your excitement when you see how beautiful it is at night."

"You won't be here?"

Roman looked at me, lips slightly parting. "Oh I just— there's just one bed. That didn't— I didn't think you would want me to stay here."

"I do. Platonically, of course," I assured him.

"Of course," he quickly agreed.

"It's just— as brave and independent as I like to think I am, I don't know if I could hack an entire night out here. Alone. It's so. . . secluded."

"I don't mind staying, as long as that's what you want."

"Please," I nervously laughed, hoping I wasn't making him uncomfortable.

"I can put a blanket on the floor. The rug is thick."

"That's entirely up to you. But I don't mind if we share the bed. Sharing a bed doesn't have to come with expectations."

His chest rose and fell with a quick breath and he looked out at the paddock with a nervous smile. This situation had the potential to become awkward, fast, so I lowered onto the bed and laid back.

"Oh shit," I sat up, blinking stars out of my eyes. "It's still too bright to stare straight at the sky."

Roman laughed and sat down next to me where I was squeezing my eyes and blinking. He smelled nice, he'd showered before bringing me out to the domes and his aroma was a fresh clean scent of rain and pine wood. However that worked.