four - allies or frenemies?

a huff escaped your mouth as you fell to the dirty ground, hitting your head against a patch of uncut grass that reached your knees, your aching back resting on the floor. you held a hand over your eyes, blocking the sun rays from seeping into your eyes.

a sudden, much larger shadow appeared and stood over you. it engulfed the shadow of your hand, making it look like an ant next to an elephant. you moped in the shade, using this small moment to take a break after a long, seemingly never ending fight.

–"are you just going to laze around?" you heard the familiar smooth voice ask you and you smiled, not wanting to get up.

your eyes fluttered open once again, they squinted for a moment from the overwhelming light. the sight of diluc standing over you arose before you, he held a hand out for you to take a hold of.

not long after a hesitant debate with yourself, you took his hand into yours as he pulled you up with all his strength, making you gasp after almost falling over again.

–"sorry" he laughed before using his claymore to swing against the mitachurl behind him, all you could do was stare in silent awe as the beast fell to the ground.

diluc turned around to look at you again, his bangs falling into his eyes. his hair was begging to be cut.

he looked at something behind you and went to warn you about the second mitachurl that was nearing your guard, until you cut him off by pressing a foot against his chest as you flipped backwards, finally slashing the monster in half, its body disappearing into thin air.

–"sorry" you mocked his tone, followed up by a smirk.

he observed you after you fell to your feet, holding one hand on the ground and spinning your sword in the other with your eyes set on the third lawachurl that was sprinting at the two of you. you were a fast fighter, flexible in many areas.

–"diluc!" you yelled at him after doing a flip over the third lawachurl, touching its shoulders resulting in its body being electrocuted.

he knew exactly what you wanted him do, he sent fire flying the lawachurl's way with a swing of his weapon. the beast fell over after a groan, the body disappeared as did the others'.

you stood up, making your sword disappear with another flip, "that was the last one, wasn't it?" you asked in a rhetoric manor. diluc crossed his arms as he looked away from you and into the distance while you made your way towards him.

–"it's actually really pretty here," you said, looking over the starsnatch cliff, "i never noticed"

diluc stood silent. even though he had no desire to respond to your attempt at small talk, the ghost of a smile played along his lips. you sat down on the ground, swaying your legs over the edge of the cliff.

inhaling the air, you felt a shiver go over your arms and the hairs on them stood up from the cold. as the year made its way into the beginning of november, it got colder with each day that passed. the streets of mond seemed emptier then the leaf-less trees in wolvendom.

diluc and you had been battle partners four times by now, you successfully got through a lot of enemies which led you to grow respect for each other. you still weren't exactly friends, but you were starting to get along better. perhaps it was better this way, you thought.

even though your relationship was changing for the better for once, you could still see a hint of hesitance in dilucs eyes.

–"shall we head back?" he said after letting you enjoy the view for a few minutes.

you hummed, getting up again to start the journey back home. as the two of you walked along and the sun set, you glanced over to the red haired man, taking up the sight of him. his hair was messed up, a small cut on his cheek was present and his eyes were narrowed and set on the path.