Chapter 3

"I thought this might happen"

The serene scene had been ruined by the sickeningly fake concern in that cursed voice.

"They never really believed in you. I was just trying to show you that." It continued as anger was flaring back up inside of Jack. Loki didn't show any outward signs of having heard it, but he was already readying his daggers to gut the damn spirit and feed it to the draugar.

"But I understand."

Jack had had enough and released the first attack, sending a blast of ice to the shadowy foe. He jumped in the air and leaped over Pitch to send a second attack from the other side as well. "You don't understand anything!"

Pitch simply blocked the attack with his sand, his powers having grown considerably since their last battle. "No?! I don't know what it's like to be cast out?!" He sent out 2 blasts of his own, forcing the winter spirit to dodge and leap into the air.

Jack sent a powerful blast at him, reaching the same levels as their first solo battle. Pitch brought up a pillar of sand to block the attack. "To not be believed in?!" From the settling dust he yelled out again. "To long for a-a family." He almost said desperately.

Jack turned to face him again as Pitch walked closer without attacking this time. He fell out of his defensive stance as he gave Pitch a chance to talk. The nightmare king didn't look at Jack, casting his eyes down as he opened up more. "All those years in the shadows I thought no one else knows what it feels like. But now I see I was wrong." Pitch locked eyes with Jack. He seemed to really be contemplating what was going on.

Pitch smirked a bit. "We don't have to be alone, Jack."

Before he could even muster another sound. A slow clap resonated from behind them. They turned to see Loki, lounging in a chair with a hot cup of tea on a table. Loki deadpanned at Pitch as he kept up his slow applause, much to the annoyance of the Nightmare King. He slowly got up and walked to them. "Thanks for the dinner theatre, but that's enough. The child isn't alone, so no need for your melodramatic performance." Loki went to stand with Jack, very well knowing he was getting on Pitch's nerves. He was definitely not putting himself between them to protect the younger.

Pitch hid his growing scowl behind a charming smile. "Oh how could I have forgotten the presence of the God of trickery. I must say, it is an honor. But I fear you understand my intentions wrong. I believe Jack is capable of great things." He bowed slightly before moving to circle the pair. "I believe in him. And I know the children will too." Jack couldn't believe his ears. Somebody believed? "In me?" Is there still a way to be seen? Was there really a chance?

Loki kept an eye on Pitch as he moved. To him it was obvious he was trying to trick Jack. What he didn't know was how. What was his angle.

Pitch saw Jack was believing his words and delightfully cried out. "Yes! Look at what we can do!" He gestured to the structure that their powerful attacks had created. "What goes better together than dark and cold?" Nightmare sand incased in ice. Beautiful yet dangerous. "And you, sir Loki. With you with us as a mediator between spirits and humans, who wouldn't believe our existence! Your reputation alone should be enough to solidify the belief in us!" He turned back to Jack, convincing the boy seemed so close. "We can make them believe, Jack. We can give them a world where everything, everything is-"

"Pitch Black?" The frost beings both said, though Loki sounded more bored than questioning.

Pitch knew it looked bad for him so he had to make up something fast. "And Jack Frost, too. And who better to rule over the humans than a god himself?" He looked at Loki. The man will not be easily convinced but he can always try. "They'll believe in both of us, ruled by a mighty god who will not be defeated."