First Performance

We ride a cable cart to the contest. "You told me you hated musicians. You never said you were one." Miguel said. "How do you think I knew your great-great-grandpa? We used to play music together. Taught him everything he knows." Héctor told us. Miguel didn't buy it. But I could see it. With Héctor's singing voice.

"No manches! You played with Ernesto De La Cruz the greatest musician of all time?" Miguel said. Héctor laugh. "Ah, you're funny. Greatest eyebrow of all time maybe. But his music? Eh, not so much."

"You don't know what you're talking about." Miguel told him. "Welcome to the Plaza De La Cruz! Showtime, chamacos!" Héctor said as the cable cart comes to a stop.

We climb out and Héctor gives Miguel and guitar before we run to sign up. On stage a lady skeleton climbs out of a skull.

"Bienvenidos a todos! Who's ready for some música? It's a battle of the bands, amigos. The winner gets to play for the maestro himself, Ernesto De La Cruz at his fiesta tonight!"

Héctor kneels down and points at the stage. "That's out ticket, muchachos." He told us before we went behind stage. "Let's the competition begin!"

After Miguel sign up we waited behind stage for his turn. "So, what's the plan? What are you gonna play?" Héctor asked him. "Definitely Remember Me." Miguel answerd. Héctor then swipes the guitar out of Miguel's hand. "NO! Not that one. No." He said looking away.

"Come on. It's his most popular song!" Miguel told him. "It's too popular." We all at the contenders to see they all have the same idea. Héctor gives Miguel a 'see' look. "What about Poco Loco?" I suggested. "Epa! Now that's a song!" Héctor said happily.

"De La Cruzcito? You're on standby. Lis Chachalacos, you're up next." A band walk pass us and started to perform. Everyone was cheering and clapping making Miguel nervous. Héctor hands Miguel the guitar and askes. "You always this nervous before a performance?"

"I don't know. I've never performed before." He answer sitting down. "WHAT?! You said you were a musician!" Héctor said. "I am! I mean, I will be." Miguel told him making Héctor put his hands over his face. "AY!" "Once I win." Miguel said.

Héctor then stands up straight. "That's your plan?! No. You have to win." He then sits down on the box in front of Miguel. "Your and your friend's life literally depends on you winning. And you've never done this before! I'll go up there." Héctor reach for the guitar. But Miguel pull it away.

"No! I need to do this." Miguel told him. "Why?" Héctor asked. "If I can't go out and play one song, how can I call myself a musician?" Miguel asked. "What does that matter?" Héctor asked. "Because I don't want to get De La Cruz's blessing I need to prove that I'm worthy of it." Miguel answered.

"Oh, that's such a sweet sentiment at such a bad time!" Héctor said grabbing his head in frustration. "Okay! Okay. You want to perform? Then you got to perform!" Miguel set the guitar down. "First, you have to loosen up. Shake off those nerves."

Héctor shakes his whole body. Even his head came off then fell off back on his neck. He smile at Miguel, who dies nothing. "Come on Miguel." I said with a smile before shaking my whole body. Miguel then shakes his body as well.

"Now give me your best grito." Héctor told him. "My best grito?" Miguel asked. "Come on, yell! Belt it out." Héctor jumps on the box and screams. He then falls back, laying on the box. "Ah, it feels good." He sits up and smiles at Miguel. "Okay, now you."

Miguel tries to yell. But it sound like he was an animal stuck in a trap. Héctor falls back on the box surpise. Dante and I hide behind Héctor. Scared of his grito.