09| Chapter Nine

09 | Chapter Nine

March, 2015 | Manhattan, New York

"Look over there!" I shouted as I pointed at one of the bigger rides. It had been a week since I told Joey what happened and things seemed to be a lot better. It seemed as if a load had been lifted off my shoulders. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied until I saw Reid face to face, but as of right now, Joey was my main priority.

Rakim and Leah joined Joey and I at the annual carnival that was hosted in Manhattan. It was twelve noon, and the carnival opened only an hour ago, but already the lines were packed. We'd managed to get on one ride in the that hour that we've been here and now we were looking for more. We wanted something thrilling and exciting for it wasn't everyday that we went out and roller coasters an shit. I had suggested a big ride with a minimum amount of people at the line. Leah and I didn't mind, but the boys thought the ride was for babies.

"Babe, do you see that ride? We're twenty something year old niggas! Lets go on Superman or something." Joey stated. Leah rolled her eyes and Rakim dapped him up.

"Look, Superman's line is hella long. By the time we get in this ride and get off, the line will be shorter. Then we can get on it." Leah stated. I doubt that was true for the line seemed to only be getting bigger, but the boys didn't know that and that was okay. Joey pouted, and I pinched his arm as I rolled my eyes teasingly. Rakim grabbed Leah's hand and Joey grabbed mine as we began walking towards the ride. The line wasn't too long, only about ten people were in line, and that was including us. The ride did look somewhat kiddish with the red and blue cartoon character on the side, but the height on it seemed to be taunting us.

The line went by fairly quick and before you knew it we were at the front of the line. The guy working the roller coaster didn't even have to check us to know that we past the height. He simply nodded at us, locked the gate behind us before ushering us to our seat. Joey and I took a seat at the very end of the rollercoaster and Rakim and Leah sat in front of us. I wasn't scared, roller coasters were actually quite thrilling to me. I had an excited look on my face and Joey just shook his head at me as he finished buckling himself. "This is just a kiddie ride, Isis. Calm down." He stated, laughing. I rolled my eyes at him and looked in the other direction as the same person who ushered us in here came by and checked our seat belts and checking to see if they were on correctly.

He went through a lame little pep talk before he finally let us through.

We began travelling up the first hill. I grabbed a hold of Joey's hand, a motion that wasn't judged, almost an instant reaction. The hill went up slowly before we were peaked at the edge. Then it stopped. We looked around and now that we were finally on the coaster, it looked a lot higher than it did on ground. It wasn't high enough that the people below us looked like specks, but it was definitely high enough to make you anxious as you waited for the final drop.

The drop finally happened.

Instantly, sounds of screams rang through the air as hands were lifted up high. The roller coaster lurched back and forth and took us upside down. I had my eyes open the whole time in fear that if I closed it, my whole body would flip out of the small seat that we were in. It was indeed fun, and I could hear Rakim cursing and screaming from in front of us. Joey, who was the more calm one out of the four of us had an excited look on his face.

The ride went over one last gut wrenching loop before we were back at the docking station.

Almost immediately, Rakim unbuckled himself and jumped out of his seat. His hair looked unkempt and the hat he had on when we first started the ride was long gone. It was no question where his hat went: down in the lake below us swimming with the minnows or something. Leah laughed at him as Joey and I got out of the rollercoaster.