Chapter One

Chapter One

A breeze whipped around, and I pulled the hem of my scarf to the bridge of my nose to secure it. Buildings towered to the grey sky on either side of me, forcing me to lift my chin up to even get sight of the top of them. The sky looked like it would rain any minute, causing my feet to carry me faster down the alley.

My bag felt heavy on my back, and I attempted to roll my shoulders back to ease the tension. I could hear the clattering of the cans I'd scavenged all morning for with each step I took. My movements became cautious from the noise, my careless steps becoming wary.

I looked around, and everything was quiet. From the end of the alley, I knew the street was deserted, as the whole town would be. For all I know, the whole world could be at this point.

When the virus first began to spread, the whole world was in chaos. People flooded the streets, attempting to gather as much supplies as they could from stores before everything would shut down. The government claimed everything was under control, that scientists were trying to analyze the virus so they could produce a vaccine. But before they could, the virus got worse and more and more people were dying.

People weren't as serene afterwards: threatening each other, stealing, ambushing the government. It was like the whole world had lost their civilization, and the only thing that mattered was the supposed vaccine.

Now a month after, more than half of the population is dead, and there's no vaccine.

A familiar feeling appeared in my gut, causing my steps to halt. I peered around me, only to be met with sightings of empty alleys and dumpsters. I remained still for awhile, however, to be certain. My breathing sounded thunderous compared to the soft whistle of the wind.

I began walking again, and that was when I heard the muffled voices at the opposite end of the alley.

My heart began to thump in my chest, but I didn't allow my panic to surface. My head swiveled around to find a place to hide.

As I was about to duck behind a dumpster situated closely to one of the buildings, a large hand covered my mouth and an arm secured itself tightly around my frame. I yelped into the hand, kicking my legs as the force dragged me backwards. My bag slipped from my shoulders, landing on the floor of the alley with a thud.

My fingers clawed at the hand over my lips, but to no achieving extent due to the gloves covering my finger nails. I continued struggling, thrashing in the strangers arms, until I was forced up against a brick wall, and the person in sight.

The male who had grabbed me, younger than I suspected, held a finger to his pale lips. He didn't remove his hand, trapping my ragged breaths in my mouth. I was still, devising the best way to escape, while his eyes remained trained on me. I took a moments notice to note how brightly green they were before continuing my planning.

I'd decided with a simple knee to the groin and flee, and was about to act out my assault, when the voices from before became louder and closer. It was now apparent the people were in the alley beside this one.

My heart was beating fast from the adrenaline coursing throughout my veins. My eyes followed the males bare fingers as they grasped my arm and held my face. I was grateful for the scarf's thick material between the strangers contact and mine.

A variety of deep voices replaced the silence of the alley, followed by grunting laughs and solid objects skittering across the concrete. I heard the clattering of my cans, and squeezed my eyes shut to prevent myself from cursing aloud. There was a loud crash, and then a chorus of laughter.

"Quit messing around," a voice barked, halting the laughter. "Grab the bag and let's go." My cans rattled as somebody lifted my bag from the ground.

The footsteps moved away and the voices became fainter, the alley falling silent again. We stood motionless for a couple minutes, assuring they had left. The male inspected me after, his eyes wary as he began lifting the pressure from my body. I took advantage and slipped my arms out, forcefully shoving him backwards.

He stumbled slightly before composing himself. His eyes were wild as he focused them on me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I demanded. My fingers adjusted my scarf, and chills danced up my spine from the thought of the strangers contact so close.

He appeared bewildered, and slightly annoyed. "What is wrong with me? I just saved your life. Maybe a thank you would be appropriate."

I ignored his last statement and said, bitterly, "I can take care of myself."

"Do you really think that dumpster would of hid you for long?" He gestured towards it, but I didn't bother looking. I kept my narrowed eyes focused on him. "I think you have a pretty good idea at what would of happened if they found you."

My lips formed into a tight line. "I can take care of myself," I repeated.

He threw his arms up in the air. "Whatever." He stalked past me, digging his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

A breeze blew by, pushing wisps of my hair in my face. I spun around, watching as he moved farther down the alley. His clothes were dark, and if it were night, he would have blended right in.

"I spent all morning gathering that food," I called out, although I wasn't sure why. Maybe I assumed he would feel sympathy?

"Sorry about your bag," was all he responded with. He didn't even bother to turn around and look at me. Should of known he wouldn't be capable of that emotion.

I glanced around the alley, irritated and trying to figure out my next move. I'd went to various places to find the small amount of food I did, I'd be surprised if there was any left-

I hadn't noticed him stop walking or turn around. His awaiting figure caught my eye, diverting my attention to him. "I know a place with some supplies," he said. I was about to question why he was sharing this information when he continued. "I'll take you to it."

"Why would you do that?" I inquired, skeptical. My thoughts searched for his objective, but found no conclusion.

If I saw correctly, a small grin hinted at his lips. His expression was smug when he said, "I like your flare." A beat after, he nudged his head behind him and was already rotating back around. "We don't have all day. Let's go."

Despite my strong urge to reject his offer, I was aware of how desperately I needed these supplies. So I followed.

-.-.-

Wow it's been a long time since I've written on here. It's exciting to be back.

Some people may know I had this story up when this account was a fanfiction account, and now I've decided the upload it again as a teen fiction book. I really hope you all enjoy this book, as I have many things planned for it.

Just the usual, inevitable reminder that this book is mine. Copyright laws and blah blah blah.

Now onto reading (or writing in my case). Enjoy!