Chapter Fourteen

I couldn't believe my eyes, but of course I had to. There weren't any secret chambers or hidden doorways or concealed trapdoors or anything like that. Arab "Cricket" Jones had vanished. I looked around a little bit, sure, and then I did something totally out of character. I went through the motions.

I guess I was just in denial, couldn't absorb the incredible, so I just asked Hobbs some questions about the murder. He rumbled some answers I couldn't really understand, so I moved on downstairs to where the witnesses were assembled, and started plowing through their improbable stories. Each one seemed especially long-winded, but it was mostly my fatigue. By the time I got around to the crime scene itself it had been thoroughly trampled and mucked up by the lab techs. There was only one knife, although most of the witnesses claimed there had been two. There was only Kruzel's blood, though most agreed that Jones had been wounded too. The body, at least, was gone. I would look at that in the morning.

It was very late at night by the time I got home and settled myself on the back porch rocking chair. I live in a little house well out of the way, on an alley down by the river. It's quiet out there and I like to look at the water and the harbor lights blinking all night. Sometimes you can hear a fish jump, or the occasional toad advertising his presence. Mostly there's nothing and no one around. I picked up that little lighter, the one Jones gave me. I'd been keeping it on the mantelpiece, trying to ignore it, but now I was holding it my hands while I rocked a little bit and thought about the note. Without even thinking about it, I flicked the lighter, just once. No flame came out, and nothing else happened. I continued to sit out there in the dark, listening to the silence, for maybe another half an hour.

Then I heard somebody knocking on the front door. That was strange. Hardly anyone ever came out there, not even my assistant, Kelley. I got up, went and opened the door, and there was Cricket Jones, standing there on the top step.

“Mind if I come in?” he asked, politely.

“Not at all”, I replied. I realized I was still holding the lighter and glanced at his hands to see if he was holding his, but he wasn't. I did see that he wasn't bleeding. He wasn't bandaged. His arm was not even cut. I showed him in to the kitchen and offered him a seat and a drink. He took the first and declined the second.

“You're probably wondering why I'm here”, he said as I sat down across the table from him.

“I ought to be arresting you”, I told him.

“For what?” he smiled.

“Murder, of course”, I said.

“But I didn't kill anyone”, he said. “Not here, at least.”

“What does that mean?”

“Let me ask you. Who am I supposed to have killed?”

“You know as well as I do”, I grumbled. “Jimmy Kruzel. Stabbed him in the gut, and let him bleed to death on the floor of his own establishment.”

“Kruzel?” he laughed. “That little puppy is alive and well. Here, I'll prove it to you”, and he turned his right forearm over to reveal the video screen he had implanted on it. He tapped his wrist a few times and the screen came alive with the wide face of Dennis Hobbs staring at us.

“Jones?” he asked.

“Evening, Dennis”, he replied.

“Evening”, Hobbs said back. 

“Evening, Inspector”, he added, turning his face towards me.

“What can I do for you gentlemen?” he asked.

“The Inspector's got the idea that Mr. Kruzel's been killed”, Jones said, “Stabbed in the belly, so he says.”

“Jimmy?”,Dennis chuckled. “Why, he's sitting right over here. See for yourself”, and he turned his own arm to show the very same and very alive Jimmy Kruzel sitting in the chair I'd seen Jones sitting in not four hours before. My night of weirdness was apparently not over. It was Kruzel all right, the same little whiner he always was. He started right in as soon as he saw Jones on Hobbs' armscreen.

“Jones?” he screeched, “How many times do I have to tell you. You are not welcome here. Not now, not ever. Not in person, and not on the flesh either.”

He couldn't help but laugh at his little joke, "on the flesh". Those skincams were still pretty new at the time.

“Sorry, boss”, Jones cracked, and tapping once more on his wrist, turned off the screen.

“See what I mean?” he said, turning to me. “You can't arrest me for killing someone who isn't dead.”

“Not dead here, at least”, he added.

“I don't follow”, I said.

“But you did”, he told me. “You followed me here, to this universe. Which universe exactly is hard to say, impossible to say, really. There is nothing but the infinite recursion of adjacent universes, did you know that? What happens in one doesn't have to happen in the next. But it might and usually does. Most of the time. But the little things add up. Maybe the only difference between this and the next one is that a certain pop song sold a few more copies. Maybe the difference is a revolution. Right now the difference is Kruzel. Here he lives, and that's all you need to know right now.”

“Right”, I said.

I didn't know what else to say. I'm not the quickest when it comes to absorbing radical information. I was going to have to think about it. And his motives. What was he up to? What was he trying to prove? Was he even telling the truth? Maybe the whole setup was an elaborate hoax. I was going to have to check on Kruzel in person. And Hobbs. I didn't trust him either.

I sure didn't feel any different, and neither did my house, or anything around me. There was Jones' arm which wasn't wounded but that could have been part of the scam too. Adjacent universes, slightly different, stacked together infinitely like pages in a book. Sounded shady, maybe even illegal.

Jones got up and bowed like some old timer.

“Good night, Inspector”, he said. “We will meet again soon. In the meantime, I release you. You may use the device to your heart's content, but I would warn you. There are only a certain number of clicks in it - I can't tell you how many - and when it runs out, there you are, in whichever universe you end up in, and there will be no further way out of it. Ever again.”

And with that, he turned and walked out of the house, leaving me stuck in the molasses of my mind.