5| KISS

Krotoa was minding Abraham when Doman showed up with the suitcases of the Commissioner. She walked up to him. 'You were away all this time, and this is how you greet your own people?"

"Get lost Dutch slave."

"Batavia swallowed your manners."

'There is a slave woman here at your master's Fort. She needs help. The soldiers will not allow me there, but you should have no problem.'

"You get lost, Batavian Hottentoo."

"What did you say?"

She burst out laughing. "That's what they said about you while you were away. Now I hear you are Anthony. What happened to Domineer?"

"I warn you, little lickspittle. If I close this fist-"

"I know, I know. You'll open my grave." She laughed and retreated. "Join the queue."

"As I said. There's a woman-"

"Not my business."

'Then I will make it your business." He moves towards her. "I know what you and Autshumao had been up to."

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Help her. Or I will make a lot of trouble for you and Autshumao with your Commander."

"Since when do you care about women. Or slaves?"

'Since I have been to Batavia."

"Think you better than me now?"

"If you know what is good for you, Krotoa, burn those clogs and their stupid clothes. You look ridiculous."

"Says the one in his master's rags. If your chief sees you now, he will hold a ritual to cleanse you."

"Unlike you, these clothes mean nothing to me." He put his hand on his heart. "In here," he said and took a step towards her, "I am Nommoa from the Goringhaiqua." Then he touched his head. "Up here, I am not a Dutchman. But you, Krotoa, try to curry favour with that Commander of yours. For once, bring honour to Tsui and our ancestors and help that woman."

Krotoa laughed. So loud and so infectious it made Nommoa fidget with his oversized jacket. "Nommoa found a woman he likes?" She kicked off her clogs and shuffled around in the sand, kicking her feet rhythmically back and forth, back, and forth in a rhythmic dance, twirling around and around, her arms wrapped around her shoulders while kissing the air in an animated manner.

"Beware, Autshumao says love is dangerous."

"What does he know about love?"

"If she is a slave, she is not for sale. Not to you." She chuckled. "Who would have thought-"

"Krotoa!"

"No need for that. Ask nicely and I will see what I can do."

He scoffed. "Take enough water and salves. She has an angry wound." He picked up the bags and made his way to the Commander's entrance.

***

On his way out he stopped and stared at the shed where Susanna was held. Once outside the gates of the fort he made his way through the forest, all the way to the other side of the mountain.