Chapter 19

Alexa's continuous sobs filled her hospital room as she paced back and forth in front of the window. Her mom and Taylor sat perched on the bed watching her every move in silence. No matter how many times they'd attempted to reassure her, it was no use, so for now they were just being quiet. The buzz of the nurses passing the door minimal sound as Alexa's head thumped with worry.

Everything had been fine. She had been too excited to wait for Carson, so she'd made the short journey down to the nursery alone. It had been very quiet when she entered but straight away she knew something wasn't quite right when she reached Isabella's incubator. Her tiny baby was gasping for air as her face turned a seriously disturbing red colour from what she suspected was lack of oxygen. Alexa had stood frozen, petrified with the state her daughter was in, before she came back to reality and rushed out of the nursery shouting for help. A white haired nurse was first to arrive and when Alexa animatedly told her what she'd just witnessed her face became starkly serious, and Alexa felt like she was going to be sick. The nurse had scurried away at full speed before returning minutes later followed by Dr. Lachlan. Both medical professionals had entered the nursery, closed the blinds of the room and left Alexa standing in the corridor in hysterics. 

It could only have been a couple of minutes later when her mom had come strolling down the corridor without a care in the world, to find her daughter collapsed on the floor in hysterics. Alexa was in no state to explain what was wrong as she stuttered and sobbed out a half-hearted explanation. The scary thing though, was her mom's facial expression when she finally pieced together what Alexa had choked out. It was a look of pure fright and caused Alexa to become even more hysterical as her mom slid down onto the floor beside her. She wrapped her daughter in her arms as she sobbed uncontrollably and they remained like this until the sound of a door opening jolted them back to reality. Alexa's energy was drained so she remained on the floor as her mom stood up to face a serious faced Dr. Lachlan. She couldn't hear much of what he was saying as his voice was hushed as he spoke to her mom but she heard the words 'heart condition' and 'seriously ill' which was enough to send her head spinning with worry.

Alexa wasn't quite sure what happened next as she zoned out at the prospect of her newborn daughter being so ill again. Next thing she knew her mom was crouched down beside her, helping her to her feet as she led her back to her hospital bed. On the way Alexa was silent as she listened to her mom relay what the doctor had told her. Alexa knew her mom was seriously downplaying the situation but she was strangely grateful that her mom was taking control as she made a call to Taylor on their journey. Alexa had already started her pacing of the room when her best friend arrived twenty minutes later and it was only then that she realised that they'd forgotten to notify someone who was a major part of this. Carson.

Taylor was quick to offer her phone to ring him, but for some reason she appeared reluctant to be the one making the call. Her behaviour at the mention of Carson was unusual but Alexa had much more pressing problems right now than worrying about her best friend and her baby daddy.

"Where is he?" Alexa muttered angrily as she spun around to face her mom and Taylor.

"He'll be here honey" her mom soothed but her words fell upon deaf ears as Alexa continued to rant.

"She's his daughter too. She could be seriously ill. She most likely is and where is he? I bet he's out with some girl doing God knows what." she ranted and she noticed Taylor's reassuring smile drop from her face.

"He's probably stuck in traffic. Sit down." her mom responded firmly, as if daring Alexa to argue with her.

Alexa did as she was told and collapsed into the chair in the corner of the room. Leaning her head against the wall behind her she closed her eyes, praying that when she'd open them again all this would be a terrible nightmare. She knew that it wasn't though and she couldn't bare to open her eyes to this harsh reality so she kept them firmly closed and tried to relax. All they could do was wait.

***

Carson's breathing was heavy as he sprinted into the hospital reception, followed closely by Daniel. He ignored the dirty looks he was thrown by the receptionist as he ran towards the elevators. Pushing the button repeatedly, he grunted at the speed of the elevator. Daniel couldn't help but chuckle at his best friend. Carson had never had patience but today it was even worse, and for a good reason too. Finally after continuous pressing of the button the elevator doors slid open and both boys stepped inside. Carson selected the correct floor as the elevator started to move upwards. Now that has still, he realised how unfit he'd become. A simple sprint through the hospital had made his breathing shallow and heavy. Coach wasn't going to be happy with his level fitness when he returned to training but at this moment in time that didn't matter.

"You need to be calm for Alexa dude" Daniel said as his voice echoed in the large elevator. He was watching him carefully as he nodded at his words. Carson knew he was right but it was easier said than done.

A couple of minutes of silence passed before the elevator dinged signalling they'd reached their destination. The doors had only begun to slide open before Carson was squeezing out through them and dashing down the corridor. Daniel sighed, knowing his friend had ignored his advice as he jogged after him. He watched as his friend darted frantically around patients and nurses as they made their way down the corridor. He saw Carson finally slow down and come to a stop. A couple of seconds later he was standing by his side as a man he assumed to be a doctor stopped at the closed door.

"Is she okay?" Carson demanded as the man sighed.

"Let me speak to you all together" he replied calmly, pushing open the door of the room and signalling for them to enter first.

Carson and Daniel entered the room and were followed closely by the doctor. Carson noticed Alexa was sitting in a chair in the corner with her eyes tightly closed. Lissa and Taylor were perched on the bed and he noticed Taylor deflected her gaze to the floor when he entered the room.  He ignored this though as he made his way over and crouched down in front of Alexa. Placing his hand on her knee, she opened her eyes slowly and Carson could see the collection of tears ready to fall. He wiped the tears away as he got up and perched on the side of the chair beside her. Right now she was what mattered.

"Right, well I guess I'll just get to the point" Dr Lachlan said, as everyone sat silently watching him in hope, "Isabella has a suspected heart murmur." 

At these words, Alexa gave out a gasp and I reached for her hand squeezing it tightly. To be honest was as much for benefit as it was hers. I noticed Lissa had her arm wrapped around Taylor and Daniel's face was ghostly white as the news sank in. My baby had a murmur.

Her perfect little heart, wasn't as perfect as we'd thought.