Chapter 11: It's Called the Mother of Ants for a Reason

After a few hours of flying, we all decided to land in some woods near the Mississippi River. We were near the border of Tennessee. We set up camp in a clearing a few yards from the river. Fern thankfully had a tent in his pack. Leo built it, which was really convenient. We all sat in a semi circle around an empty fire place. No one has started to make it; we were just waiting for Leo to think the obvious.

“Wow,” Jason said. “It’s freezing.”

“I know,” Piper agreed.

Fern said too obviously, “The river seems warmer than this place”.

Leo nodded not getting the whole point of this conversation. “Yeah, it’s sure is windy here.”

I nodded, literally shivering. Leo is still too dumb not to get the whole point. A cold wind seemed to blow our way. I ended up having my teeth chattering, goose bumps came out of my skin. Leo noticed and lended me his coat, a sweet gesture. Everyone gave a silent groan, he still hasn’t gotten it.

Jason tried again. “Gee, it sure is freezing here.”

Piper was clenching her teeth. “We sure could use a fire, right about now.”

Fern was rubbing his hands together. “Something warm would be nice.”

“If you want something warm,” Leo said. “I think you brought blankets.”

The temperature literally dropped down 10 degrees. We could see our breath from the cold night.

Jason clenched his fists; he was trying really hard for Leo to get it. “Fire would be really good right about now.”

“Yeah Leo,” Piper said. “Do you happen to know anyone who can make a fire? Anyone you know, that pops up into your brain.”

“Come on Leo”, Fern pleaded. “Do you know a single person who may have a match, a lighter, or any sort of power that can make fire?”

“Fire, fire, anyone who can make-” Leo’s face turned bright red. Thank the gods, he finally realized it.

Leo grinned, “Harley, he made this cool flame torch back at camp”.

Everyone groaned. They all couldn’t take anymore.

Jason exclaimed, “Sherlock, we need fire! Make a fire!”

“For the love of the gods,” Fern cried out. “A simple fire will make all us happy.”

Leo held up his hands. “Man, you guys could’ve just told me.”

I noticed a vein pop by Piper’s forehead. “Leo, can you take a dip in the river for half an hour after you’ve finished with the fire and making dinner?”

Leo flinched, Piper just used her charmspeak. So he had to obey. After he made a huge, toasty fire and cooked tofu tacos – which was impressive since he was a boy- he headed out to river. He walked muttering curses at Piper, everyone started to snicker.

Fern sat next to me. “I want to ask a question, your permission actually.”

I wrote on the whiteboard for him to tell me.

“Do you want an empathy link with me?”

I was about to write what it was but Fern answered it for me.

“It’s a telepathic communication between a satyr and a person,” He explained. “It can only work when both of us are asleep or awake or if one of them is sleeping. When one of us is asleep, I or you can show a virtual image of where one of us is through the person's dream.”