sixteen

d r a c o

Draco woke with a start, his breathing shallow and his heart beating fast. He was lying fully clothed on top of his duvet, and could feel a thick sweat on his forehead. Daylight poured in from the windows; he squinted against it.

A knock sounded from his apartment door. That must have been what had woken him up - someone at the door - but it was just so far away. He groaned. His head pounded as he sat up; he clutched at it, trying to think of a spell for headaches.

Another knock, then a voice: "Draco? Are you there?"

He cursed aloud, stood precariously, and made his way across his living room to his door. Opened it to reveal his neighbour Emily, beaming up at him.

"Hi Draco," she said cheerily. "Are you well? Lovely day outside."

Draco peered at her, trying to remember when he had told her his name. He could feel his shirt clinging to his back, slick with sweat.

"Anyway," she said brightly, "I was just going for a grocery run and noticed some things outside your door, that you might have dropped. Your wallet, and. . ." She held up his wallet and his wand. "I'm not sure what this is," she said, balancing the wand between two fingers and looking very bewildered.

"Oh, shit," said Draco loudly. His head responded with a throb of pain; he held one hand to it and took his things from her with the other. "Sorry," he said to Emily, who seemed startled by his exclamation.

She glanced at his wand again. "So, what is. . ."

Draco sighed heavily. He held it up so that she could take another look. "It's my magic wand," he told her.

Emily laughed loudly. "You Brits, and your British humour," she said. "Very funny."

"Right." Draco backed into his apartment, reaching for the door handle. He considered Obliviating her again, but could not find the energy -

"Oh," said Emily. "Did your friend ever find you?"

"My friend?"

"There was a girl here the other day," she said. "Around two weeks ago. She was looking for you."

He stopped. "What did she look like?"

"She was. . . well, blonde," said Emily. "Average height. Pretty."

Draco stared at Emily, his hand frozen on the door handle. "Did she -" his voice was croaky; he cleared his throat. "Did she say what her name was?"

Emily nodded eagerly. "Oh yes. Her name was. . . Oh gosh, I can't remember now. Daisy, maybe?"

He swallowed. "It wouldn't have been Isobel, would it?"

"Daphne!" exclaimed Emily. Draco released a breath. "Daphne, how could I have forgotten."

"Daphne," repeated Draco, voice hollow. "Right."

"Did she find you okay?"

Draco's hangover was making its way across his body and he was beginning to feel nauseous. "No," he said flatly. "She was probably looking for her sister. Her sister is my - my friend."

"Oh I don't know," said Emily. "She seemed pretty eager to see you."

Draco started to close his door. He hoped she would understand the hint.

"I told her I would let you know she was here," said Emily quickly, "so I'm just following up on my duty."

"Nice to meet you, Emily."