ix

"no friendship is an accident" -heart of the west

・・・

"Hey Grizz, Fugitive's starting in a half-hour," I said, looking at my phone's screen

"Do you still want to go?" he asked. "I mean, we're doing pretty good and you didn't really want to go in the first place."

"No, I made a promise, and I don't break them," I said.

Grizz got up and started putting bottles of soap back onto their shelves. I joined him and in no time, we were finished. We walked back to his house to pick up his car, since we'd need it for the game.

He had a forest green Jeep and I could not have been more unsurprised.

"Why aren't you more surprised. My friends all drive Mercedes. Do I look like I'd drive a Jeep?"

"You look exactly like you would," I said. "I take one look and I automatically think of a dark green Jeep Wrangler. You couldn't be caught dead driving a Mercedes."

"You know me way too well, it's kind of unnerving," he said.

"Of course I know you, we practically grew up together."

"Just shut up and get in the car," he said, opening the passenger door for me.

I rolled my eyes but got in anyway. We drove to a parking lot near the town center. It was the perfect place to start a game with lots of people. Roads spread out in multiple directions, giving the cops plenty of places to drive to. We got out of the car and waited for further information. After a few minutes, Harry stood on the top of a car.

"Okay, okay, we're gonna... Hello, hey!" shouted Harry, one hand raised.

The chatter fizzled out slowly as everyone turned to listen to him.

"Okay. We're going to wait a few minutes to divide up sides, see who else shows up, so just... hang out," said Harry.

Grizz left my side to talk to some people in the group. I approached Luke and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey, Lyds. I haven't seen you all day," he said. "What have you been up to?"

"Oh, the usual," I said, with no further elaboration.

"Are you partnering with Grizz?" he asked.

"Yeah, we already talked to Harry. I'm already a cop because I probably shouldn't be running around too much with my ankle and all," I said.

"Right. How is your ankle?" he asked.

"Not too bad. It hurts when I'm walking around a lot, but at least I can walk," I said.

"That's good," he said. "Where is he anyway? Grizz?"

"Beats me. Believe it or not, but I don't keep tags on him 24/7," I said.