Chapter 7- Slightly, Maybe, Extremely Scary.

Not edited from this point forward.

Brynn's POV

"Don't be mean to the kid, Ezra," Jacob said. I wasn't really listening though, I was thinking about what tomorrow would be like. Would he drive me into the middle of the woods and bury me?

I was quickly put off my meal after only a few bites, being nauseous from eating and the thought of having to be with Ezra alone. I tugged Brayden's sleeve to get his attention and when he looked I gave him pleading eyes towards my meal and Jacob. I hoped he'd realise I was full and didn't want anyone to make a big deal out of it in front of Mika and Jacob.

He caught on but didn't let me off as he whispered into my ear, "at least a quarter more, bambina." I nodded. At least he was compromising and not making a scene in front of others. He gave me a look to the nodding, "okay."

Smiling at me then continuing his own meal, Brayden began to chat with Callan about work. I sipped my water to try and post-pone eating more and, to my dismay, Zaiden caught on. "Drink your drink as much as you want, Brynn, you're eating your food."

My face flushed red at his comment and started to eat my peas. Thankfully, Mika broke our tension. "So, Brynn, I hear you kicked Zaiden's and Zach's behinds in Mario Kart." When did he hear that? How fast does word travel around here?

"Beginners luck," Zach and Zaiden scoffed at the same time. "No you guys are just sore losers," Callan chuckled. "Are not," Zach defended to which it was nearly everybody's turn to scoff. "Are too," Brayden said.

That's really how most of dinner went, Zach trying to defend his Mario Kart-ing skills whilst the rest of us rolled our eyes. Except me, of course. The last thing I needed was a scolding for rolling my eyes, I was already embarrassed everyone knew about Milo.

After being forced a few more bites, which made me a little sick, and having some painkillers, I went to bed. It was only seven pm, but spending most of my day with my brothers was like holding my breath, easily exhausting me. I didn't think I'd get used to them at all.

I brushed my teeth and re-changed into the pyjamas I wore the night before- they were still clean and I really didn't want to wear anything else. They were so comfy.

My plans to snuggle in bed were put to halt when I walked out to see Mika sitting on my bed staring at the book I intended to read.

"You have excellent taste, little love," he smiled shaking the book next to his head and putting it back in its original place on my side table. Mika's gaze got caught by my pyjamas and he inhaled rather deeply with what looked like almost tears in his eyes.

Did I do something wrong?

I bunched up the shirt in my hand and looked back at him, questioningly.

His eyes went back to normal and he stood up back to his towering height, "just thought I'd say goodnight to you, I haven't done it in so long," he said with a sad smile.

He cleared his throat and lifted up my bed, "m'lady," he bowed with a small smirk. I chuckled and scampered over to the awaiting blankets, getting in. Once I was under and covered, Mika handed me my book and turned my lamp on.

I thought that that was it, that he'd maybe say a goodnight and leave, but by now, I should have known to expect the unexpected. Mika cautiously raised his arms with a soft look before leaning in and bringing me to his chest. So many hugs lately, so little knowledge on how to hug someone properly.

This felt just like when Callan hugged me, almost motherly. Hugging back felt even better; his arms tightened and his head rested on top of my head. Feelings toppled over my already confused brain. Safety, security, home.