𝒊𝒊.

Noelle didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast. 

She didn't know where he was taking them, but she didn't particularly plan on going anywhere with him. So, she tried to stall for time while she thought of a plan. She limped a bit behind everyone, making sure to exaggerate how much she was nursing the wound on her thigh.

"Percy," she whispered as low as she possible could with him still being able to hear her. She had to be quiet because she didn't know if Thorn had supernatural monster hearing. "Can you please think of a plan? 'Cause my mind is coming up blank."

Percy nodded, taking a quick glance at the wound on his girlfriend's thigh. Hers was significantly worse than his, deeper and bloodier. He couldn't begin to understand how she was still standing let alone walking.  

"What's the hold up, Grove?" Noelle clenched her jaw at the sound of her last name coming from Dr. Thorn's mouth. "Keep moving!" 

Noelle shot him her infamous glare. "It's my thigh," she lied, trying to sound miserable, which wasn't hard. "It burns." 

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!" 

Thorn herded them outside, and Percy tried to concentrate, having thought of a way to help. He pictured Grover's face. He focused on his feelings of fear and danger. Last summer, Grover had created an empathy link between them. He'd sent Percy visions in his dreams to let him know when he was in trouble. As far as Percy knew, they were still linked, but he'd never tried to contact Grover before. He didn't even know if it would work while Grover was awake. 

Hey, Grover! Percy thought. Thorn's kidnapping us! He's a poisonous spike-throwing maniac! Help!

Thorn directed them into the woods. They took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. Noelle's thigh felt numb, but she could still feel the distant burning. The moon hung high in the night sky and its light seemed to strengthen Noelle. 

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride." 

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?" 

"Silence, you insufferable girl!" 

"Don't talk to my sister that way." Nico said. His voice quivered, but Noelle was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all. 

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand upon the back of Percy's neck, but he forced myself to keep walking and pretend he was being a good little captive. Meanwhile, Percy projected his thoughts like crazy—anything to get Grover's attention: Grover! Apples! Tin cans! Get your furry goat behind out here and bring some heavily armed friends! 

"Halt," Thorn said. 

The woods had opened up. They'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, Percy sensed the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. They could hear the waves churning and could smell the cold salty froth. But all they could see was mist and darkness. 

Dr. Thorn pushed them toward the edge. Percy stumbled, and Noelle caught him. 

"Thanks," he murmured. 

"What is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?" 

"I... I'm working on it." 

"I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind. 

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!" 

They turned. 

Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first Noelle thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver."