Part five

"No, she didn't say much, dad." Pelumi said into the phone as she got out of her car. She sighed heavily as she listened to her father apologize on her mother's behalf.

Somethings would never change...

She walked briskly into the eight story building, her phone pressed to her ear. When she got to the front desk and saw it was empty for the third time in a row, she hissed loudly. She glanced at the clock, and saw it was past nine, before glancing back at the empty desk.

"Why did you hiss?" Her father asked. "Hope it's not because I am taking up your time?"

"Oh! It's not you dad, though you are taking up my time. Let me do this, I'll call mommy and apologize for walking away." She conceded, her eyes still on the receptionistless seat as she waited for him to speak.

"I don't know about dinner this Saturday.... I'll try my best." She said hurriedly, happy that the conversation was over.

"I can do this. I can do this..." She chanted before turning towards the lift. She pressed the button with the number seven, then began to tap her foot as the doors began to close. Just as the lips of door were about to kiss, a well manicured hand slipped in, causing the door to give way.

"Good morning Best friend!" Precious sang happily before entering. "How was your night? Hope you slept well? I hope the bed bugs didn't bite? What about the mosquitoes? Tell me Nepa let you sleep with light because I just hate sleeping when there is no light." She said without pausing to take a breath, her body radiating joy.

"When will you wake up and come to work all gloomy and sad?" Pelumi asked as she looked her assistant over. Precious was putting on a brown flared skirt, which had a cream cotton armless top tucked into it. She finished the look with a very artistic brown ankle boot. Her baby face was devoid of make up, and her short tinted brown hair looked more curly than usual. She looked absolutely stunning.

"Why would I wake up all gloomy and sad when my God in heaven does not permit me to be sad?" Precious commented as she linked her arms with Pelumi's.

"Why can't you wake up gloomy and sad? It's normal to wake up hating the world." Pelumi argued as she tried but failed to wriggle free.

"Oh please! Is this how you talk on dates? No wonder.." Precious trailed off with a slight frown.

Pelumi kept waiting for her to continue but Precious just kept mum. When she couldn't take it anymore, she asked.

"No wonder what?"

"Nothing!" Precious replied sweetly, dismissing her comment with a shrug of a shoulder. Pelumi couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. Precious had this weird way of making her feel inadequate.

Maybe inadequate was too strong a word. But it was close to describing what she made her feel about herself.

"Why would you say nothing when you ended with a 'no wonder' ehn... Tell me what you wondered." She almost snapped. She had to remind herself that Precious fed off anxiety. Showing she was anxious to know will only make her more determined to keep quiet.

"You're dying because you're curious bah?"

Too late...

"Remember all those times you always left me hanging? Payback is a bitch, right?" Precious said,  looking triumphant as she freed Pelumi's arm. It's not everyday she had the upper hand in a conversation with Pelumi.

Pelumi rolled her eyes at her comment when she stopped mid- rolling as she remembered Precious said something earlier about 'dates'. She turned to glare at Precious who was oblivious to her friend glaring as she applied lipstick to her bow shaped lips, using the mirror in the lift. The lift finally got to their floor and they stepped out.