Chapter 2

(The picture is what the kingdom is supposed to look like)

•••
Dahlia's POV

My stomach grumbled, so I took out a bright red apple. It felt like I had just bitten into an ice sandwich, the cold of the apple contrasting with the warmth of the fire and my sleeping bag.

Though my back ached from being pressed against one of the many tall trees, it was almost impossible to ignore the gorgeous, lush scenery around me. Trees, bushes, fireflies. There was only a small clearing left for me to set my camp.

The rush of freedom was almost immediately replaced with worry as soon as my eyes started to droop. Anything could lurk in these woods! What if an animal found me? Or worse, a member of the royal help or even the council! I needed some sort of shelter in order to survive.

Hoping for an old house to turn up along the road would be wishful thinking. It would take ages to build a home, but the thought gave me a rush. It sounded interesting. Doing something on my own.

'Careful.'
'Woods.'
'Danger.'

The voices repeated themselves for the 3rd time today. I awkwardly nodded to myself and began a quest for water.

After wandering aimlessly around the woods for 10-15 minutes I happened to stumble apon a large lake. All around it lay thick trees, which blocked most light. The only light that shone onto the rippling, blue-green water. Golden light danced atop the tiny waves of water.

Refilling my water bottle, I made my way back to camp.