20. Paris

Minerva got up, inviting her colleagues to do so and leave.

"I'll join you later," uncomfortably answered Lupin, "I still have some business to do here."

They did not ask questions, but the Headmistress' glare was clear: he ought to be there for supper. He checked his watch. This left him with around one and a half hour to get things straight with the Minister of Magic.

"What is it?" Asked Kingsley once they were alone.

Remus sighed, took out the name list again and pointed a name. He then looked up.

"He's supposed to be dead."

The Minister smiled softly. "I'm sorry, I should've organised a meeting with you and Sirius a few months ago already..."

"YOU KNEW?"

"Calm down, Remus. He was under the Ministry's protection."

"For 21 years?!"

Shacklebolt slowly nodded. "I discovered it recently while sorting out some old files. He apparated in Harold Minchum's office, in a rough state. He was with an House-Elf, asking to be transported to a safe house. He had betrayed the Dark Lord and was afraid of the reprisals."

"Why didn't he come back in 1981, after Voldemort had disappeared?"

"According to Millicent Bagnold's notes, he refused."

Why?" Remus frowned.

"Because he did not think that Voldemort was actually gone."

"He knew about the Horcruxes."

Kingsley slowly nodded. "We still didn't get the opportunity to bring him back."

"Where is he?"

"In a safe house, in France. I believe he works in a cafe in magical Paris."

"Paris uh..."

"Don't bother with it. I'll send aurors to bring him back."

"I want to be in."

"You can't, you need to stay at Hogwarts."

"I promised Sirius I'll bring him back. Someone can replace me."

"There's no point in-"

"Kingsley."

The Ministry sighed. "If Minerva accepts and finds a suiting substitute teacher."

"Thanks." He smiled before leaving the room.

Remus appeared in the Headmistress' office in a green flash.

"Minerva, I need to go on a mission in France."

"When?"

"I don't know yet."

"Why?"

"To bring back someone."

"Who?"

He sighed and handed the crumpled sheet. Her eyes widened. Remus decided it might be better to explain everything he had discovered today. After thirty long minutes, the story was done and Minerva's cheeks crossed by wet strands. She slowly nodded.

"I understand that you want to leave, it's a family matter, after all... Who do you think could replace you?"

"I thought of Sirius at first but..."

She shook her head. "He won't be able to, not in this situation."

Moony nodded. "Maybe Tonks would agree."