The Forgotten Promise of Agent 22 Pt 1

Bradford Buzzard woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. He picked it up off the nightstand by his bed. Rubbing his eyes, he tried to adjust to the screen's light. He sat up and put on his glasses, trying to make out the burry letters in the caller ID. He glanced at a clock on the nightstand. 3 AM. Who would be calling him at this hour? He looked at the screen and read the name. HIs eyes widened.

"Oh shoot," he whispered. He tried to push the "answer" button just as the call ended. "Shoot."

He got out of bed and made his way down to the kitchen of the manor. He frowned at the phone. She didn't call back, so maybe it had been a mistake. He smiled sadly. Hopefully she wouldn't call back. And everything would be fine.

A voicemail notification appeared on the screen. Bradford sighed. He pressed it and held the phone to his ear.

"I'm ready."

The voice was crisp, sending a chill down Bradford's spine. His heart sank. He frowned. He knew she would call eventually, but he always hoped it wouldn't be so soon. Five years of waiting, and he still wasn't ready. He was probably less ready than he was then. "Shoot."

He glanced at the fridge, his eyes landing on a photograph of him and Webby. He looked at it with sad eyes. How would he explain what had happened to her? Next to the photograph was a calendar. On today's square, it was marked out with multiple layers of black marker. It had an arrow pointing to it, and scribbled in Feathry's handwriting, it said, "THIS DAY NO LONGER EXISTS!" That made Bradford chuckle a bit. Only a little.

Bradford sighed. Maybe that could work in his favor.

...

Huey walked around the manor, trying to find something to do. He walked into the foyer to find Bradford and Webby there. Webby had a bright pink backpack on her. If you asked Huey, she wore too much pink. He tilted his head. "Whatcha doing? Are you going somewhere?"

Webby smiled at him. "We're going to go get ice cream. To get out of the house." Bradford nodded.

Huey raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean to get out of the house?"

Webby smirked and shrugged. "Well, you know, it's that time of year again."

"It's Master Feathry's birthday."

Huey's face lit up. "His birthday!? How come no one told me! I've been bored all morning!" He bounced up and down, pumping his fists.

Bradford folded his hands. "Feathry doesn't really like to celebrate his birthday. So much so that he's never told the media when it is. Could you imagine how big a party would be for the most famous duck in the world?"

"I bet it would be cool!" Huey nodded fast, excitement bubbling inside of him. Noted: Feathry needed a birthday party.

"That's not the point. Anyways, every year Webby and I get out of the house and spend the day together." Bradford ruffled her feathers, and she smiled.

"So you're saying that to make up for all the years he didn't have a party, I should throw him one?" Huey smirked, nudging the vulture.

Bradford sighed and face palmed. "No, Huey, don't do that." He glanced down at his watch. "Look, we don't have time for this, so, just, don't do anything crazy." He opened the door for Webby.

She tilted her head. "We have a time frame for ice cream?"

"It's, uh, special ice cream."

"Okay...?" She stepped out the door and Bradford followed behind her. The shut the door, leaving Huey to his own devices.