(Kanto) Chapter 3

(3rd Person)

Mom: You've... what...?

There was no anger in her voice, no loving tone and certainly no life in her eyes as (Y/N)'s mother held the cooked dish in her hands. She had been spending the last hour worrying about (Y/N), and now she was using the very chair meant for (Y/N), holding her head in her hands while observing the boy across from her. He was holding the Pokeball that he claims contained a Nidoran inside it... all the while he seemed to have no scratches or bruises.

(Y/N): I caught my first Pokemon without a scratch, Mom... I've fulfilled the condition. So, you'll give me your blessing to go on my journey now, right?

Mom: B-b-but you... Pokeball... you couldn't...

To prove his point, (Y/N) threw the Pokeball up, the device popping open and releasing the hornless Nidoran which let out a cry upon being released, shaking itself before scratching its ear with one of its legs. (Y/N)'s mother kept looking at the Pokemon, her face growing paler by the second.

Mom: A-and what if...

(Y/N): If you still don't accept? Well, that would be the last straw. And I wouldn't care about your opinion anymore, I've got a Pokemon now, I can travel the world and become the World Champion like I've planned all my life. So, if you give me your blessing, I'll leave, and if you don't, I'll still leave. So either way, I'm leaving this house today Mom, but... I would feel better about it if I at least got your...

As he continued to speak, (Y/N) grew concerned as he saw his mother get out of the chair, heading upstairs without saying another word... next he could hear the door slam from upstairs and a thump, most likely signifying his mother landing on her bed face-first, either to cry her eyes out, or to be in disbelief that the one day she dreaded was finally here.

Dad: She'll come around, I know it... your mother's overprotective yes. But, she's smart... and she doesn't want to risk ruining your relationship with her. I know the smart woman I married will undoubtedly wish you well on your journey, even if it's not exactly what she wanted. If she had her way, she'd just keep you home and...

They were cut off by the door slamming open, the two men darted their attention upstairs, only for their expressions to grow deadpan when they saw the woman had returned with a new fire in her eyes, wearing a ridiculously large sunhat, a cartoonishly huge backpack that barely fit through the doorway leading to the upstairs hallway and even having a few Pokeballs on her belt.

Mom: Very well... I'll let you go on your way, only if...

(Y/N): No chance... you've already tried to make my journey hard to set out on, don't make it impossible for me...

Mom: W-what!? But!

(Y/N): This a journey I want to do on my own! I appreciate you trying to accompany me Mom, but... I want to do this alone, because quite frankly... I don't want to be known as the only Pokemon trainer in the world who travels with their own Mom...

His mother wanted to argue, she was more than ready to argue... but, for once she saw the stern glare coming from behind (Y/N) in the form of his father, who slowly shook his head.  She looked desperate now, wanting her husband to change his expression... but found herself shrinking slightly when the glare deepened, making her sigh... slowly sliding down the wall while still upstairs, a big cloud of depression beginning to circle her as she brought her knees to her chest.

Mom: It's not fair... why did (Y/N) have to catch a Pokemon...?

(Y/N) was both understanding and a bit hurt at what his own mother said, true... he should've expected this reaction, but he wanted her to be at least a bit happy that he could take the first step into his dream of being a Pokemon World Champion. Sighing, (Y/N) looked over at Nidoran who tilted its head, but then shrugged its shoulders and bounded over. (Y/N) leant down, allowing Nidoran to hop onto his arm and then sit on his shoulder.