Chapter 2. The chrysalis of the cognate empress

The royal palace of the Metrican Empire

"Are you certain?" The empress hurriedly asked. It was her wish to perform the calling, and before she had seemed certain that nothing would go wrong, but now it was clear that even she found it unbelievable to have succeeded.

"Yes. The chrysalis of the empress was being formed as we received the signal. By now the pupa state should already be completed!" The servant immediately gave all the details. They were truly relieved their interference had not caused major problems. The pupa of the empress would form only if the body of the empress was at an appropriate age, and most likely had no recurrent health issues.

But it still did not mean they were completely out of the danger zone. As long as the empress did not exit successfully the cocoon, as long as her body was not restructured for the empress's DNA, they still could not breathe easily.

"Good! Quickly go find Aleph. He should be the first one she sees as soon as she emerges the chrysalis, otherwise she could imprint on someone else. We only have a week at most." The regent empress quickly commanded.

It was highly unlikely the cognate empress would imprint on anyone else other than Aleph, but you could never be certain. As she was called earlier than intended, the new empress could possibly be weaker than normal, so it was best to be careful from the start.

She barely finished her words, and the servant girl had already gone to summon the prince to the palace.

Outdoor garden of the royal palace

"Lady Primrose, please stop touching the prince!" The guard, who was standing by Aleph's side, finally could no longer endure the brazenness of the young woman, and sternly pointed out to her the obvious. He was astonished at this woman, who kept touching the prince each time she met him, even though she knew how much he could be in pain if she did.

"Ahhh... You are right!" Primrose remarked surprised, as all the color drained from her face. Aleph would indeed hurt if she touched him, but she was so sick and tired of being reminded that in fact all the first born princes of the king would suffer when touched by their lovers, that the jealousy got the better of her.

She wished to touch him always, to leave her mark on him, to show everyone that she was his lover. But she did not realize that in fact, the marks and pain she left behind with her touch, were likewise a reminder for everyone to know that all the princes were potential mates for the cognate empress. Their true ruler was the only one who could touch a prince, without the latter breaking out in hives and suffer.

"I am sorry Aleph!" Primrose immediately apologized, looking truly aggrieved and scared she could have indeed hurt him.

"It is alright! Kieran, go back to the palace, we are within the compound of the royal garden, you don't need to stay by my side." Aleph assured her, and afterwards directed his attention towards the guard.

He had suppressed his pain, not wanting to worry Primrose, but this guy just had to intentionally let her know that she had hurt him. It was already not fair to her that they could not be like normal lovers. His guard should have not let her know this matter.

Kieran looked upset for a second, as he gave a small indignant look towards the woman, who did not seem to be conscious of his stare, then lowering his head defeated, sighed resigned. He knew that the prince would not listen to him no matter what he said, so he left without commenting more on the matter.

From the fake regretting face and sad look she demonstrated, Kieran knew what Primrose was actually thinking. The three of them unfortunately had grown up together and during their childhood and up until this very moment, Aleph had always stood by Primrose side. His friend always repeatedly mentioned to him that he should not bully girls, but in fact Kieran only ever acted cold towards Primrose, when the latter approached too much Aleph. A woman in love was she, and could not keep her hands to herself? But if she really loved Aleph, would she bear hurt him with her touch?